Nicky Stanton.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
A49

Re: Nicky Stanton.

Post by A49 »

As far as I am aware, Stanton excelled at every junior level yet was denied any opportunity to prove himself at senior level at Wigan.

Ainscough got shabby treatment last season but at least got some sort of opportunity.

I understand that Stanton's first season at Leigh was plagued by injuries so that even at this stage of his career he has still not been able to prove himself one way or the other.

He may or may not make it but it would be a terrible shame if a player with his achievements so far was not at least tested at a higher level.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:From: http://www.leighjournal.co.uk/sport/lei ... _Warriors/
Nick Stanton played well. A couple of weeks ago he probably wasn’t in my mind as being in the thirteen but he certainly gave it a crack today with the way he’s played.
The reason he wasn't in his mind Mike was because nobody expected him to even play in the pre season friendlies after his car was hit drivers side door (he was driving) and it was anticipated at the time he would be out for the whole of the pre season.

Tough kid Stanton. He actually turned down a contract with Bolton because he preferred RL.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pieater-alex wrote: As for Stanton I thought he had a lot of potential. He was very quick and nippy for his age and was a decent goal kicker IIRC. But what is done is done and we just have to learn from it as a club. A mistake only becomes a mistake when you don't learn from it. I like to think that the current management have learned from previous management errors. I have more faith in MaGuire to give some of the lads a chance than I did in Noble. As well as being consistent and fair.

Dropping Ainscough after his four try man of the match performance against Wakefield is a decision that still mystifies me to this day.
Same here. Someting odd seems to happen to coaches who come to Wigan in that they seem to want to be seen to be proactively coaching and doing stuff when in fact what they just saw really did happen (e.g. Ainscough scoring four) and so there really is no need to fiddle!

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ainsy may have to watch out for a younger star at the club. Josh Charnley really came on last season and seems to be getting better and better. Versus Leigh, he had an excellent game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Ainsy may have to watch out for a younger star at the club. Josh Charnley really came on last season and seems to be getting better and better. Versus Leigh, he had an excellent game.
Do they both favour the same side? Neither of our senior wingers are getting any younger.

Dave
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

If Goulding is next in line for a wing position, I hope he's got a LOT faster.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Ainsy may have to watch out for a younger star at the club. Josh Charnley really came on last season and seems to be getting better and better. Versus Leigh, he had an excellent game.
Am I right in thinking Marsh and Thornley can also play on the wing?
Ainscough needs to show some good form this season because there is plenty of competition in the backs in the first team and reserves.
As it stands Goulding is probably next in line on the wing if Richards or Roberts gets injured. Even if Phelps isn't played I think Veivers is more likely to get a game in the near future from what I've seen so far.
Charnley looks to have pace, footwork and a better aerial ability, so he's another good prospect if he keeps improving. I've also heard he's a player who really puts maximum effort in when training and during games.
There's no doubting that Ainscough is a real talent, but there are an awful lot of talented young players at the club. He needs to impress whether he's playing in the under 20's or out on loan somewhere.
Under the new regime isn't that true for all the players? You make it sound as if Ainscough has something to prove more so than the other players or showed poor form last season and I certainly don't think he is in either position given how he played when given the chance.

I also don't see why if Roberts or Richards are out injured or not playing well Goulding would be the automatic choice for the wing. Ainscough has that extra something about his play that could make him an outstanding player. I just hope being neglected and then getting injured last season hasn't knocked that out of him.

Dave
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

This wouldn't be the same Nicky Stanton that was dropped by Shaun Wane for the 2008 reserve Grand Final at St.Helens for not turning up for training in the spare week after they had won the qualifying semi, who then strolled into training in the week leading up to the final thinking he was an automatic choice?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No straw damn us wrote:This wouldn't be the same Nicky Stanton that was dropped by Shaun Wane for the 2008 reserve Grand Final at St.Helens for not turning up for training in the spare week after they had won the qualifying semi, who then strolled into training in the week leading up to the final thinking he was an automatic choice?
How dare you speak ill of CP's child prodigy, did you not know he was the second coming :lol:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If Amos or Pat are out injured then I would hope that we would give an opportunity to one of the youngsters who is an out and out winger; rather than looking to play someone out of position.

For me a winger has to be one of the most dangerous members of the team one on one. Be that from out and out pace, footwork, strength in the tackle or a combination of all three. The reason Robinson was not usually targeted with the high ball was because if he got the chance to counter in broken play, then there was every chance that he would either score or put the team in a position to score on that set. Had it not been for his footwork and speed off the mark then he would have been bombarded with high kicks.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------