Cameron Phelps - Good Enough to be Full Back?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Cameron Phelps - Good Enough to be Full Back?

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:Unfortunately, there are restrictions on the number of overseas that can play for one team.
Phelps counts as one of the five quota players but his contract was up at the end of the 2009 season and will be up again at the end of 2010 so the quota was not and is not a problem.

If anything we should be asking do we use up precious quota spots on players of Phelps standard? If the new regime is true to its word we will never sign an average Aussie again preferring to promote from within, rightly or wrongly.
PLUS the added fact that, despite Phelps already having a quota spot, he has shown a willingness to try and settle and progress playing-wise, rather than the usual "final payday" Aussies. Or would you rather have Wigan constantly sign players like Jason Ryles, who are gone as soon as they arrive? What use they, for team building/squad consistency?
Every now and again a player will not fulfil his contractual obligations. It happens but that doesn't have anything to do with the question is Phelps ultimately a good enough full back. Plenty of people are willing to try hard but that alone isn't enough IMO.
Now, if you said Wigan were signing Billy Slater etc, that IS a different matter, however very unlikely - a sad fact that has to be recognised.
Wigan have a lot of contracts up at the end of 2010 including Phelps. He will have to improve on 2009 to get a sniff of a new deal IMO. He is very willing and very enthusiastic but this is a ruthless pro sport and if when we have cap money free, a better player is available coinciding with Phelps contract being up he will be gone IMO.

When we were at the top the club never kept hold of players just because they were popular if they thought they could get better. I don't see Phelps being immune from this under new regime.

Dave
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I like Phelps 10 x more after last season than I did after the previous season. I'd still rather Pat played FB and we got a new winger or played Ainscough because although Pat is awesome at getting through a tight gap on the touchline. FB, as CP stated is a massively important position and you need your best there. Pat is better than Phelps imo.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Pat Richards for full back for me which i think is his best position and he likes playing there himself.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Phelps is plenty good enough - and what counts a lot I think is his attitude and passion. Not seen many players put their head where others wouldnt put their feet quite as much as Phelps does, and he's had some nasty cracks too as a result. Postionally he improved loads over the second half of last season with Radlinski's input and his pace on kick returns is something that neither Mathers (whoooooo?) or Pat really have.

I think this season we'll see him joining the line more, like Melbourne play slater and whilst he's not Billy Slater he could make an impact running off two good halves like Tommy and Sam.

In 10 words ; the best fullback we've had in the last 3 years.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Pat Richards is the best fullback we have had in the last 3 years but I doubt he will be selected to play in that position.

Would CP be selected to play full back in the NRL?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Northampton deal swamped anything offered by Wigan. Personally I think that was part of why he left and the other part was that Brian Noble did not rate Ashton and wanted to play Withers at FB.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

pieater-alex wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote:wasn't the main reason for Chris Ashton leaving Wigan offering him 20 grand a year and Northampton offering him 120 grand?
I thought Wigan offered him a big wage increase? Something along the lines of 'bigger than Hock's or O'loughlin's wage when they were that age'?
Noble made it public knowledge at the time how much Northampton were offering, which was exceptionally unprofessional of him.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Dicknterry

Post by Dicknterry »

Its a shame Ashton left as I thought he was going to be great for us and his attitude, although not fan friendly, probably helped make him as good as he is/will be.(See E Hanley & M Offiah for details)
Besides he is likely to get a shot at England A this summer so it's been a good move for him.

Anyway IMO Phelps is good enough - War Phelps!

Lets hope this next year we get to see a few more of the youngsters step up and make the squad a bit more competitive - something that Nobby appeared to be reluctant to encourage!
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote:First up, far too many people are posting as though Phelps should be the finished article after barely a season in the position! How ridiculous is that? He's undoubtably a work in progress and should be evaluated as such. He performed very well last season given that, not only was it his first in that position, but he started the season as our THIRD choice FB! I think it fair to say that he was one of our top improvers in 2009. To compare him to the top eschelon NRL fullbacks, again, is a complete nonsense. Our best FB of the last 20 years, Kris Radlinski, was bettered by a number of Aussies throughout his career. That's no slight on Kris, just an unfortunate inditement on the quality of the 2 competitions. That's why we haven't beaten the Aussies in any meaningful way in 40 years! 'Would Phelps get a run out for an NRL team' has been asked. Well the simple answer is 'we don't know'. What we can say, however, is that he DID get a run out in the NRL prior to coming to Wigan. Not only that, he represented Australia at junior level. I think few would argue that he hasn't improved since then and, further, has finally found a position that he is starting to excel in. With that in mind, I think it's fair to say that he may well get a run out in the NRL. In fact, he already has, albeit not in his (now) preferred position.

One more thing. Why are we even judging him in this way at this stage of his development? Rads first season was far from an overwhelming success. In fact Monie took him to one side and told him so. His desire, willingness to work, love of Wigan and application made sure that he went on to become the Wigan Legend he did. Phelps has those qualities in abundance. Let's give him a chance to realise his potential before judging a fledgeling Wigan career shall we?
Well said Flash :eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

superb performance from him tonight, looks like a certain some on doesn't know what they are talking about