Almost a year to the day

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Almost a year to the day

Post by cpwigan »

It is very odd how certain people are allowed to create threads reflecting on what had gone before and others are not. Some people even mention Millward still. Do we ban mentioning the past or is it just those in a select group who have carte blanche.

Personally, I am more concerned about the impact on players as the previous coach clearly had a detrimental impact on numerous high profile players. What damaged did he do to young aspiring players.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Wow.

So the rebirth of Wigan RL is all down to CP Wigan.

Fancy that. :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

You are now being compared to Mike Astley and that is derogatory. If you do not act then your own position may become untenable too
Either Rick Astley or Mike Ashley, but if not, here is Mike Astley from Google:

I think Ian was making plans behind the scenes this time last year before this letter regarding all aspects of the club
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
BriH

Post by BriH »

Even though I think your letter was a bit OTT, CPWigan, I do endorse, absolutely, your passion for Wigan RL.
After the debacle of losing away to Celtic Crusaders I wrote to IL imploring him to "fix it" before it was too late.
As events have shown, IL did indeed "fix it" and we now have the same team that is unrecognisable to the one of last, and previous seasons.
Could it remotely be down to the change of Coach? I will leave that one to you dear readers!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cruncher wrote:Wow.

So the rebirth of Wigan RL is all down to CP Wigan.

Fancy that. :lol:
Good to see you old friend. Down to IFL making an excellent decision whether he listened to fans or not. The man got it right in the face of the usual suspects criticising him from within the game. Therein I feel some affinity.

Great to be a Wigan fan in 2010 isn't it. I just hope the fans return in the numbers tht the current team deserve.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Regards the fanbase being down, posters should be printed for advertising boards around town to tell people when the next match is and to promote the fact that there is new found optimism within the team, a "new dawn" etc, possibly with fans comments emblaisoned across them.
Last season only the "big" matches were promoted, this team deserves every match to be promoted, the product is there, lets use it! The 18th man needs to grow!
Mick
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Isn't it odd though that the threat of relegation drew fans more than the outstanding rugby being played now. I do agree MIck re promotion. The current team deserve 15K minimum every home game.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:Isn't it odd though that the threat of relegation drew fans more than the outstanding rugby being played now. I do agree MIck re promotion. The current team deserve 15K minimum every home game.
Yes but the Economy was in a far better state then than it is now.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true GP
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gpartin wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Isn't it odd though that the threat of relegation drew fans more than the outstanding rugby being played now. I do agree MIck re promotion. The current team deserve 15K minimum every home game.
Yes but the Economy was in a far better state then than it is now.
I think this has got more to do with it than we might think. The optimism pre-season and the fact it has proved not to be misplaced (so far) should have seen a meaningful increase in out attendances because I for one don't think there is less interest in game or the club.

On the other hand apparently we got 500 more v Les Cats than the same fixture last season and it was half-term when we played HKR so there is still a chance the figures are not as bad as they may at first seem.

Dave