Gareth thomas

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
BriH

Re: Gareth thomas

Post by BriH »

I think the biggest question is this.
What sort of message does this send out to aspiring young Welsh RL players in the Wrexham area?
Somebody earlier picked up on BN's aspiration re. RU players when he was coaching Wigan.
Perhaps.....he has his eye on Shaun Edwards' job with the National Side?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

BriH wrote:I think the biggest question is this.
What sort of message does this send out to aspiring young Welsh RL players in the Wrexham area?
Somebody earlier picked up on BN's aspiration re. RU players when he was coaching Wigan.
Perhaps.....he has his eye on Shaun Edwards' job with the National Side?
Aspiring young welsh players in the Wrexham area are not going to be at a level to compete in Super League in 18 months time it might however make more people in Wales in general aware of the club and make it alright for Union to want to follow in his footsteps and try their hand at rugby league. The vast majority of Welsh union fans will want Thomas to do well and will be looking out for news about him in the local papers. Unlike the English rah rah's the Welsh are open to any sport that the Welsh are able to compete at. I remember watching Wales and England when the Welsh were made up of loads of ex union players and the turn out from the Welsh was fantastic, from memory I think it was Old Trafford which had Land of My Fathers and Cwm Rhonnda ringing out it was absolutely marvellous.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:funny you should mention bums...

Careful !! Anal, sorry AnL ! :blush:
Surely we re better than that? So he's Gay, so what?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:funny you should mention bums...

Careful !! Anal, sorry AnL ! :blush:
Surely we re better than that? So he's Gay, so what?
nothing wrong with it, I dont think there will be any chants about his sexuality at away grounds, I dont think anyone is bothered tbh... he's a great Union player (or was) very respected. :)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Cant see him being much use to be honest

and in regard to away fans chanting etc, i would like to believe that our game is a bit more respectful, but if not, id like to see anyone who has anything negative to say about his sexuality to say it to his face makes no difference on him as a player or person
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

It takes a good season and a half to get a young Yawnion player with reasonable ability, fit enough to step on a League pitch never mind make an impact on the game.
This bloke is in his mid thirties already, and Noble thinks he is Rugby League calibre.
Who's taking the p1ss here, Nobby or Thomas.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:It takes a good season and a half to get a young Yawnion player with reasonable ability, fit enough to step on a League pitch never mind make an impact on the game.
This bloke is in his mid thirties already, and Noble thinks he is Rugby League calibre.
Who's taking the p1ss here, Nobby or Thomas.
PM it is all about raising the profile of the sport in Wales, which IMO is about 15 years too late as back then there was an abundance of welsh RU talent in our game.

I don't blame crusaders for trying this route but as you quite rightly point out someone is seriously havin a laugh if a player of his years will cut it in SL with 3/4 of the season remaining

nobby can bullshit the media all he wants but if the player don't perform or gets a grip of the game pretty quickly then he will have egg on his face.
If Crusadrs had got the signature of Shaun Williams (small Wales Winger), I would have considered it a realistic proposition.
Williams is quick and looks like league may suit his style of rugby.
Thomas is as stiff as a board, slow as a box mangle.
As you say, just put it down to the "profile raising" scenario.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Yeah Shane williams is a great player mentioned him on another thread today. Been having second thoughts about this signing myself actually and thinking union fans might go once to watch him but thats it. How many watch him for his union club? And thats a sport they like with a team dotted with welsh internationals they like. The press will get bored. Backs in league struggle to play past 30, what would it say about SL if he didn't? Rah rah is the home
for rl hasbeens. Prob cost more than he'll make.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."