Tactics

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Tactics

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I was thinking the other day while playing Rugby League 2 of a very successful tactic i use in that game which could have some viability in the real game.

if i get say 20-30 yards out on my last tackle and there is nothing on its very difficult to create a try from that range as your just a bit too far out. you could push for a repeat set however if you have a handy full back like webb they can make you pay on the return. However what you can do is bob a drop goal over and you get the ball back 6 more tackles and you get a point. Starving the opposition of posession being the main advangtage.

Now i know in real life Its a bit more tricky that it is in a game to knock a DG over but in decent position id imagine someone like Paddy could knock them over 8 times out of 10 and if he doesn't you haven't really lost much as long as it goes dead.

Maybe not all the time but to catch teams off guard its not a tactic i see employed that much.

Im sure DaveO will tell me why im wrong :)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
gpartin

Re: Tactics

Post by gpartin »

Thought much the same for years but to me there's only any point doing it if you're not getting a try 1/6 of the time you're in dropgoal range. The way we've been playing we are doing pretty much are we not? (With Pat on the wing might I add) not a bad idea in general though imo.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I was thinking the other day while playing Rugby League 2 of a very successful tactic i use in that game which could have some viability in the real game.

if i get say 20-30 yards out on my last tackle and there is nothing on its very difficult to create a try from that range as your just a bit too far out. you could push for a repeat set however if you have a handy full back like webb they can make you pay on the return. However what you can do is bob a drop goal over and you get the ball back 6 more tackles and you get a point. Starving the opposition of posession being the main advangtage.

Now i know in real life Its a bit more tricky that it is in a game to knock a DG over but in decent position id imagine someone like Paddy could knock them over 8 times out of 10 and if he doesn't you haven't really lost much as long as it goes dead.

Maybe not all the time but to catch teams off guard its not a tactic i see employed that much.

Then lets change the name of our game to Rugby Yawnion.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I think possession and territory is much more important than scoring a drop goal in rugby league. You can do a lot more damage to an opposition team by keeping them 'trapped' in their own half than kicking a drop goal and moving 100 metre back towards you own try line.

If teams are constantly having difficult crossing the line you do tend to see drop goals scored before half time or near the end of the game but these are generally close games anyway.

I often hear people at Wigan games shorting for a drop goal when the team is up by 8 or more which is just pointless because it does not change the game and like I said earlier it sacrifices a lot of territory.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I think there's merit in that strategy with either a 6,10 or 12 point lead depending on the time left.

I remember Wire did something similar to us a couple of years ago in an early season match and had a reasonable lead. Briers then started dropping goals ( I seem to remember 4??) to basically take the p*ss and wind Wigan up.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I was thinking the other day while playing Rugby League 2 of a very successful tactic i use in that game which could have some viability in the real game.

That would be an exciting spectacle