forward Planning

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: forward Planning

Post by GeoffN »

No straw damn us wrote:I don't understand all the anti Riddell posts. He's been good this season and a lot of tries have started from his passing from acting half, it's been quick and accurate giving Sam and Tommy good ball to work with. I think five of the tries on Sunday v Cas came this way. If you want a hooker that runs from dummy half then he is not your man.He also made 29 tackles, so it's not as if he is shirking his defensive duties.
He's certainly improved this season, to the point where he's average, but his attack just isn't ever going to worry opposition teams in the same way that a genuinely good hooker does.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:I think the issues with Piggy are that he cannot play the full 80 which requires a back up hooker on the bench. In terms of his playing ability. He has been better this season but the contribution you alled to v Cas Straw would apply to every hooker in SL as their is the first pass in any movement. In terms of creating something himself I am not sure Piggy can or does it enough. V cas at a tight ground a really crafty dangerous hooker would have been a Godsend. I think fans are looking at the next level. At the currentr level Piggy is doing a job but just like our great teams, players doing their job were thanked and then replaced by a better player.
There aren't many hookers doing the 80 though are there? Not Saints, Leeds, Wire, Huddersfield, Bradford, Hull HKR etc. Riddell has not been bettered by any other hooker this season and the only thing I would be critical of him for would be trying to get one over on Hall at Bradford. It'll be interesting to see what MM does if and when Mickey Mac gets back up to speed, but from what I've seen that may be a few games off yet.
MM is really probing into players performances. Every home game is being videoed by a separate camera from UCLA and he is looking at different aspects of the play. This week it could be defence at the play the ball, next week it could be slide defence etc. structure is VERY important to him. He has been very complimentary of Riddells defence around "the ruck" which is probably something we as spectators don't really look for.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If they had to Wire could play one hooker, Saints could play one hooker as long as it is not KC, Leeds could, Huddersfield could. We simply do not have that option with Piggy. His game deteriorates unless he gets a break. We have to play 2 hookers if Piggy plays.

The way I see it a hooker should threaten/scare the opposition and unfortunately Piggy does not do that. When we play Wire, Monaghan is a constant threat, Lunt at Huddersfield is emerging as an hooker who the opposition need to watch all the time. I didn't think there was much difference between Piggy and the Cas hooker. Hence, I am not convinced that is the standard we should be looking at long term.

The praise Piggy receives could be applied to Shane Millard and that is not high enough for Wigan RLFC. Higham, Millard, Piggy - Wigan can do better.

However, the bottom line is that Madge was fixed into existing contracts and he has to run with what he has. In Piggy's case, he has another season after this.

I have no doubt though that Wigan have a plan in terms of player turnover that is based not only in a years time but up to 3 years or more.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

This season is one of assessment for Maguire.

Twelve players are on the last year of a contract, namely Bailey,Carmont,Coley,Fielden,Goulding,Hansen,McIlorum, Mossop,Palea'asima,Phelps,Prescott and Pryce.

It will be interesting to know who will be retained for next season and who will replace any of the above who will not be offered a new contract.
No straw damn us

cpwigan wrote:If they had to Wire could play one hooker, Saints could play one hooker as long as it is not KC, Leeds could, Huddersfield could. We simply do not have that option with Piggy. His game deteriorates unless he gets a break. We have to play 2 hookers if Piggy plays.

The way I see it a hooker should threaten/scare the opposition and unfortunately Piggy does not do that. When we play Wire, Monaghan is a constant threat, Lunt at Huddersfield is emerging as an hooker who the opposition need to watch all the time. I didn't think there was much difference between Piggy and the Cas hooker. Hence, I am not convinced that is the standard we should be looking at long term.

The praise Piggy receives could be applied to Shane Millard and that is not high enough for Wigan RLFC. Higham, Millard, Piggy - Wigan can do better.

However, the bottom line is that Madge was fixed into existing contracts and he has to run with what he has. In Piggy's case, he has another season after this.

I have no doubt though that Wigan have a plan in terms of player turnover that is based not only in a years time but up to 3 years or more.
I don't think Saints, Leeds, Wire or Huddersfield could play with one hooker and be effective. Leeds last week had to bring in McShane to cover the injured Buderus. Roby has never played a full game at hooker for either Saints or England and Scott Moore never did at Huddersfield. Why do you think that is? Riddell did 65 minutes on Sunday. Wigan have scored 85% of their tries with Riddell on the field this season, whether the drop off in scoring is due to Riddell going off or the loss of fluency by having to then switch the half backs is open to discussion. We will soon find out as I believe the plan is to give Mickey Mac a game against either Wakefield or Salford.
I don't know where you sit but look out for that (skills) camera on the West Stand gantry about 40 metres from the South Stand try line. MM means business.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Straw if Roby needed to he could play the 80 as could Diskin. Neither would see a significant decline in form. I am not convinced Piggy could. It seems Madge does not believe he can either with the speed he has rushed Mickey Mac back into the squad.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:Straw if Roby needed to he could play the 80 as could Diskin. Neither would see a significant decline in form. I am not convinced Piggy could. It seems Madge does not believe he can either with the speed he has rushed Mickey Mac back into the squad.
Why don't they then? They'd have more flexbility on the bench if they didn't have to rotate their hooker. How come every single team in recent history has rotated two hookers if there is no significant decline in effectiveness if they don't?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Straw if Roby needed to he could play the 80 as could Diskin. Neither would see a significant decline in form. I am not convinced Piggy could. It seems Madge does not believe he can either with the speed he has rushed Mickey Mac back into the squad.
Why don't they then? They'd have more flexbility on the bench if they didn't have to rotate their hooker. How come every single team in recent history has rotated two hookers if there is no significant decline in effectiveness if they don't?
Fashion Mike. Pure and simple.

Nevertheless, interestingly it is becoming less common. Nobody rotates Cameron Smith, Michael Ennis, Robbie Farah. Diskin was never rotated until Leeds signed Buderus.

Not a great believer in mid match changes to your 9, 6 and 7. Those 3 players need to play together as much as possible to get the best understanding possible. Dermott never rotated and he was vital in terms of linking with Greg and Shaun.
No straw damn us

But there is no evidence that they could do the 80, they never have. Last week Leeds had McShane on the bench. Why would Saints bring Moore back when they have an International hooker in Roby who according to you could do the 80, it doesn't add up. As I said Wigan are scoring 85% of their tries with Riddell on the field. We'll see very soon how we go with two genuine hookers and settled halfbacks. MM is satisfied with Riddells contribution so far, but as with all the players believes there are still things that can be done better. Do you think that Roby and Diskin are better passers of the ball than Riddell?
When Buderus was injured last season Diskin was still rotated as indeed he was when they had Millard

Oh by the way this as not an anti CPW post. I agree with you on the Roberts issue at fullback, I believe that he is the best fullback at the club. I also think that Stef marsh could be the long term solution to that position.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No offence taken Straw. I like debate.

Diskin always played the full 80 until McLennan decides he should not. I may be wrong re Roby but I think he has played 80 minutes recently albeit not as a hooker. Potter does not seem to like him as a hooker from what I can see. Maybe the scooting hookers are becoming less important in the current game with the speed of the play of the ball slowed down.

Marsh. Shame he has never had any chances at full back. Whilst I think Vievers has done well at lower level, Marsh is the better prospect for me.