Homesick Mogg leaves the Dragons

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Homesick Mogg leaves the Dragons

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Taken from:- http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... alans.html

Catalans have released veteran Australian stand-off Adam Mogg with 18 months remaining on his contract.

The 32-year-old former State of Origin player has admitted he is homesick and wants to return home for family reasons.

Mogg, who joined the Dragons in 2007, is thought to have had an offer to rejoin his old club Canberra Raiders.

Mogg said: "I would like to thank the club and all its supporters for their support during my four years in France.

"I had a fantastic time in Perpignan and this experience will stay forever in my heart.

"My two kids were born in Perpignan and I met great French people in the whole region.

"I am very proud to have worn the Catalans Dragons colours and helped the club develop with young French kids playing now in Super League.

"Despite my early departure, I will be an ambassador of the club in Australia, searching for young Australian talents and giving some advice to the new club recruits in terms of French way of life."

Mogg made a huge impact on his arrival at the Dragons and was named in the Super League Dream Team after his first season in France.

News of his availability will now allow Canberra to step up efforts to re-sign him.

"We heard on the grapevine that Adam hasn't been too happy over there so we have spoken to him," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said last week.

"It just comes down to whether we can work something out with Catalans. Hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement."

Mogg's departure is another blow to the struggling Dragons, who have been ravaged by injuries and have lost six of their opening seven Super League matches this season.

Coach Kevin Walters is keen to bolster his squad and last week admitted an interest in Wakefield scrum-half Danny Brough, but the former Hull and Castleford playmaker looks set to join Huddersfield.

Taken from:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_l ... 571974.stm

Australian stand-off Adam Mogg has been released by Super League strugglers Catalans Dragons with 18 months still left on his contract.

After four years in France, the 32-year-old Queensland State of Origin player has been released for family reasons as he has become homesick.

And Mogg's former club Canberra Raiders want him to return to provide cover for injured utility player Joel Monaghan.

Mogg ran in 16 tries in 70 Super League appearances for the Dragons.

"I would like to thank the club and all the supporters for their support during my four years in France," said Mogg.

"I had a fantastic time in Perpignan and this experience will stay forever in my heart.

"My two kids were born in Perpignan and I am very proud to have worn the Catalans Dragons colours and helped the club development with young French kids playing now in Super League.

"Despite my early departure, I will be an ambassador of the club in Australia searching for young talents and giving some advice to the new club recruits in terms of French way of life."

Canberra had already spoken to the Dragons over the terms of a possible release.

"We heard on the grapevine Adam hasn't been too happy over there so we have spoken to him," said Canberra chief executive Don Furner. "It just comes down to whether we can work something out with Catalans.

It's not good news for the Dragons. He's been a terrific player for the club in his time here and he will be missed

Catalans coach Kevin Walters
"Hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement."

Mogg, who has missed the last three Dragons matches with a knee injury, has been a major influence on the club since joining from Canberra at the start of the 2007 season, and made the Super League Dream Team that year.

"It's not good news for the Dragons," admitted coach Kevin Walters. "He's been a terrific player for the club in his time here and he will be missed.

"I'm not too sure what's happening back in Australia but he's been over here four or five years and it can be difficult when you've not got the support of your family and friends."

Mogg's departure opens up a vacancy on the club's overseas quota as they look to fill the gap caused by a long-term injury to full-back Clint Greenshields, who broke a leg in the 20-16 home defeat by Castleford.

The Catalans did make a bid to sign Ulster full-back Clinton Schifcofske, an Australian of Polish descent, but fear they have lost out to Crusaders.

exile in Tiger country

Re: Homesick Mogg leaves the Dragons

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Taxi for Danny Brough to Leeds/Bradford airport.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09