forward Planning

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: forward Planning

Post by GeoffN »

No straw damn us wrote: As I said Wigan are scoring 85% of their tries with Riddell on the field.
Where did you get that stat from? I'd take a lot of convincing that it was accurate. We've scored 46 tries so far, that stat would mean only 7 were scored without him, and I can think of many more than that without even trying.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 85% might not be far off the mark IMO but Piggy does play the majority of games. It sounds a tad high but if that is what the stats say then so be it BUT you have to factor in other variables. As an example, Piggy starts games with Fielden and Coley whereas somebody hooking with Preccy / Eamon is less likely to get the same opportunities to set up play / tries. Who knows I could be wrong on that.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Hasn't Roby been playing at loose forward? Anyway I can't really see a major reason why hookers shouldn't play a full game. The roles played by each position are developing all the time and as it is at the moment most hookers aren't just scooting from dummy half everytime which clearly burns up loads of energy. I think CP hits the nail on the head with his point about fashion, I think most coaches have a tendency to pick based on how every other coach does rather than what is necessarily best for the team.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

GeoffN wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: As I said Wigan are scoring 85% of their tries with Riddell on the field.
Where did you get that stat from? I'd take a lot of convincing that it was accurate. We've scored 46 tries so far, that stat would mean only 7 were scored without him, and I can think of many more than that without even trying.
you need to exclude the four tries from the Warrington game when he didn't play. Just go and check. It is between the 80 and 85% mark.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Straw I think stats are a very dangerous method of judging anything. For example, Pat Richards has been on the field for 100% of our tries, at a guess so has Gleeson, Amos too, Joel too whereas Fielden has probably only been on the pitch 40% of the time when tries are scored. Maybe less. Likewise Coley.