Re: Leeds' missing players

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Morph wrote:Been re-watching the Leeds game last night, and listening to the anti-wigan commentary from Baldy and Wiggy and the constant reminders that leeds had a "makeshift" team and 8 first team players missing.

So the question is who were the players, cos i can't think of them.
Got Sinfield, Peacock, Eastwood and Kylie Leuliai, can anyone fill in the gaps?
Donald, Ablett, Watkins the other regulars out, plus a couple of fringe players.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Of the Leeds 17 that played last Friday, 11 of them played in last seasons Grand Final, plus Buderus would have done if fit at the time.

It's all a smoke screen to take the heat off the coach. They certainly didn't look injury ravaged to me. I'd rather start a game with 17 players that have trained together all week, than a team who has to shift players round the pitch, into different positions, as we had to do when our own players were going off injured. :(

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Really the only players they missed were sinfield and Peacock, they would be in most teams if fit the others are very replacable
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I've always rubbished the idea of Sky bias when discussing it on here and other forums. I just couldn't see it and thought it was just our fans being pathetic and whinging over nothing. The commentary on Friday however was nothing short of a disgrace, we were given so little credit for anything throughout it was unreal. One example that springs to mind is when Goulding got us another set of six out of nothing by kicking through on the last tackle and tackling one of their players (Bush?) behind the line. The commentators were so busy praising the defence that they barely even mentioned how well Goulding had done in the first place. When Burrow knocked on and pretended to kick through they didn't see it and I felt like I was watching a completely different game to them and on another occasion when only Eddie Hemmings acknowledged that Senior had strayed off his line when he was penalised for obstruction, it was blindingly obvious!!

I'd not even thought of looking at who was out I just took it for granted that they were being realistic and to be fair their props ended up playing for ages because of weaknesses on the bench and this might well have affected them but the majority of their attacking moves included the same players they would normally have (Burrow, Senior, McGuire, Hall, Webb, Diskin/Buderus), which highlights how good our defence was. What it showed beyond doubt is that our squad of fringe players is far better than theirs and up until now I'd never have thought it but we could cope with a similar level of injuries better than they have been doing. The thing is I think Sky talking them up and whinging beforehand in the papers means that they are going into the game almost resigned to the fact they are going to lose imo and this clearly isn't doing them any good.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I have e mailed Boots'n'all asking this question, and have used various points from this thread to help put the point across, so apologies to those I have plagiarised, but it will interesting to see if it gets a mention.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

It's not just SKY, it's also the Super League show on BBC. It should be called the Super Leeds show they are so biased towards Leeds. Last Sunday the presenter went on and on about Leeds having a weakened team. As some of you guys have already pointed out Leeds had 10 or 11 of their best players on the pitch last Friday. I so hope Wigan win things this season and shut the Leeds sycophants up once and for all.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I can't help but agree with gpartin. I've always looked at Eddie as the friendly face with little knowledge and Stevo as the would be expert. Eddie I don't have too much of an issue with but Stevo, crikey don't get me started. He simply hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. He's wrong over a lot of things and I find myself frequently shouting at the TV. Also phrases such as 'wigan outfit' 'terrafirma' T.R.Y.' 'the merry whistle blower' and when he looks at the camera when answering a question with that supercilious grin on his face. Oh I hate him!!! I think I started saying that the commentary team needed to change about 5 yrs ago. And I don't know why they're anti - Wigan but I can live with that I just wished that they didn't look like an incompetent bunch of baffoons.

Sorry, that turned into a rant........not like me :roll:
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Leeds are in good shape.

Mclennan, AKA General Lee, has said things will come good on the return of the Cavalry. :lol: :lol: