Teams for Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

Re: Teams for Friday

Post by MrDave »

cpwigan wrote:A big call and it will not happen but I think Liam Farrell could do a very good job at 9.
Farrell is a very talented player and could probably play in any position if required.

I would imagine that Leuluai and Deacon will share the hooker role with O'Loughlin dropping in at Stand off when one of them is off the field. If he plays Farrell could go to loose forward, Wigan had another Farrell who used to play loose forward but I forget his first name :roll:
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

Ive read it Tommy moves moves to hooker with MM and Deacon plays half back with Sam .

If Coley doesn`t make it Feka may be brought in , but otherwise it`s Feka and Farrell miss the cut , as they say in golf .
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I think it's worth a shot to play Feca - he'll be fired up to have a monster game to get his place back.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

FROM A TO B wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Wigan are without hooker Mark Riddell who has been ruled out with a hamstring injury
Convenient how Piglet is injured again when it a big game is due - same for Warrington game :sly:
Strange thing to say Josie. :eh:
Why?? plus it's the Easter Bank Holiday!! :snea1:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whatever his past 'injuries'. He was clearly injured v Leeds and if anything the threat to his position by Mickey Mac returning seemed to make him play better. Hence A to B is correct.

Feka hard to say. He could go well with ball in hand but defending? Eastmond has such a low centre of gravity and he targets props so Feka may be a weak link. Eastmond did the same to Fielden last season at KR. Noble wants Feka at Crusaders on loan.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Piggy had a great game v Leeds, played a stormer while he was on.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I'm not saying he didn't have a bad game v Leeds.

It just seems co-incidental that's all, as he pulled a hamstring last season at Wakefield before we played a big game the week after & it was near a Bank Holiday :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Farrell played very well in the televised game the other week for Widnes. Maguire is one who doesn't have favourites and St helens isn't too big a team for anyone... we may see Farrell get his chance purely on merit and the luck (in his favour) of injuries... I would also give Feka a shot.

we shall see
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

GeoffN wrote:Thats's not as bad as I feared, just Riddell & Phelps out.

Starting 13 is fairly straightforward

Roberts
Goulding
Gleeson
Carmont
Richards

Sam T
Leuluai

Fielden
McIlorum
Coley
Tomkins
Mossop
Lockers

Now the question is, do we go with Deacon or Lockers in the halves when TL goes to hooker, or even play Macca for the full 80. Deacs hasn't even had a run out in the reserves since Bradford, where he was less than impressive. For this game, and the likely pitch conditions, I'd be tempted to go with 4 forwards on the bench:

Feca
Prescott
Bailey
Farrell

Play McIlorum for as long as possible, then TL to hooker, Lockers to half back.
I would feel more comfortable with 4 forwards on the bench and move Lockers into the halves when Tommy switches to 9.
Sadly not too much confidence of Paul Deacon being on the pitch in this derby game.
Just hope Sam, Andy and Mike Mc's knocks have fully recovered.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan are without hooker Mark Riddell who has been ruled out with a hamstring injury
Convenient how Piglet is injured again when it a big game is due - same for Warrington game :sly:
Leeds was a massive game for Wigan last week and for me Piggy was a complete stand out , both on ability and attitude . I think we all knew he had ability but other aspects of his game(fitness/attidude) questioned his suitability .

Last week the Fat Man stood up AND WAS COUNTED .

Asking Micky Mac to play a full 80 will be asking too much of him considering how low on match fitness he must be .

I think Deacon is in there to cover for Tommy not Sam .
2002 and EW is hooked