Best Wigan support

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Best Wigan support

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:The best coaches at the moment will always have current / very recent NRL know how. If for example Wigan want Shaun Wane to be their next coach, in the year preceeding his appointment he should spend 6 months + with a top NRL club (Melbourne) I fully agree with the previous post, young British coaches need to be sent to the NRL as much as possible.

N.B Whether they are British, Australian, NZ etc. They have to have CURRENT NRL knowledge. An Australian who does not have it will be just as bad as a Brit who does not have it.
Very true, cpw. I think Justin Morgan is a good example of that - did a tremendous job getting HKR to where they are now, but they now seem to have reached a plateau.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I hate to be ageist, particularly as I get older but I think coaching is becoming a young mans game. I am not his greatest fan lol but I watched some season highlights for the Bradford Bulls recently (I know ;) ) around 2001 / 2003, Noble looks so much more energetic back then. Madge looks like he has the energy to work all day and all night if it gets him what he wants.

John Monie IMO is a classic example. He came to Wigan as an NRL GF winning coach. Reasonably young but people kept saying bring him back etc etc but it was / is unrealistic to expect coaches as they age or lose touch with the modern game to keep returning and work miracles. I hated seeing him criticised for France.

No Australian should stay here longer than 3 years though, othwerwise like Morgan they become no better/no worse than the Brits.

Long term, we need to steal the best ideas from the NRL, send our best young coaches there but at the same time send them to other sports like American Football to try to gain ideas that will let them jump ahead of the Australians.

WE need to pay high quality coaches to coach our juniors also. By juniors, schoolboys. Every Wigan school should have a professional standard RL coach in their PE department.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
Long term, we need to steal the best ideas from the NRL, send our best young coaches there but at the same time send them to other sports like American Football to try to gain ideas that will let them jump ahead of the Australians.

WE need to pay high quality coaches to coach our juniors also. By juniors, schoolboys. Every Wigan school should have a professional standard RL coach in their PE department.
Brian Carney said the same at the last Riversiders meeting, that we need good quality coaches from the outset at schools, amateur clubs & reserve grade. That is the only way we will ever best the Aussies
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Yes,our support was brilliant.Saints lot were pretty quiet,they wer'nt very confident before the game,only woke up when Amos walked.our fans were singing when we got there at 2 o clock and still going at 4.45.Welldone.I agree we have been a bit quiet lately,lets have some of the same at home.jao 711
missyme65

Post by missyme65 »

i thought in the main support yesterday was brilliant, actually wondered were there any helens fans in the ground.
One thing troubled me however, a guy stood behind us was using continual foul language, shouting as loud as he could, spoilt it for me to say nothing of offending my mans mum.
softy southerner finds the holy grail...