Anyone help me settle an arguement? *With a saints fan*

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chris11

Anyone help me settle an arguement? *With a saints fan*

Post by chris11 »

With a very bitter saints fan, I only started suporting Wigan from around 95 onwards so I have no knowledge of the days before that. It may of been around the time I started, but I don't remember. Il quote what was said,

"you have blagged your way through the 80s,,allegedly you broke the salary cap in the 80s in full view of the Rugby world thus disgracing the sport and had the bentest Chairman that Rugby people have had the misfortune to endure. You should have even gone down a couple of seasons back(2 i think) when you cheated Castleford out of the relegation spot hence why they despise you and always give you a warm welcome"

Also

"wigan broke the salary cap for years and actually paid one of the players wives a humungous salary as a secretary in the 90's to get around the salary cap"

Can anyone enlighten me?:conf:
THE 18th Man

Re: Anyone help me settle an arguement? *With a saints fan*

Post by THE 18th Man »

there was no salary cap til super league started. we just had the money to invest in players and it paid off
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

This is Saints fan who sounds as if he has just jumped on the bandwagon during their recent glory days, and has no knowledge of what went on in the eighties.
Quite simply there was no salary cap then.
I stand to be corrected, but I think Saints have been found guilty of more salary cap infringements than Wigan since it was introduced.

As for what he says about Castleford, we weren't found guilty of breaking the salary cap that year, we were found guilty of breaking the spirit of the cap. If we had taken the RL to court over this we would have had a field day.

Just point out a couple of things to him:
1. That Jamies Lyon's wife was allegedly on the pay roll at Saints.
2. That we "blagged" our way to a 27-0 win over Saints at Wembley during the eighties.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No salary cap. Also mention to him that without Wigan RLFC there would be no St Helens. Buying Andy Platt and Gary Connolly kept Saints afloat. If Wigan had not bought them, Saints would have gone bust.

If he wants to dig into history, tell him St Helens RLFC were not even the biggest club in St Helens until post WWII. St Helens Recs were the No 1 team in St Helens.

Likewise, Saints spent masses of money but often on very poor players, Stuart Evans springs to mind.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

chris11 wrote:With a very bitter saints fan, I only started suporting Wigan from around 95 onwards so I have no knowledge of the days before that. It may of been around the time I started, but I don't remember. Il quote what was said,

"you have blagged your way through the 80s,,allegedly you broke the salary cap in the 80s in full view of the Rugby world thus disgracing the sport and had the bentest Chairman that Rugby people have had the misfortune to endure. You should have even gone down a couple of seasons back(2 i think) when you cheated Castleford out of the relegation spot hence why they despise you and always give you a warm welcome"

Also

"wigan broke the salary cap for years and actually paid one of the players wives a humungous salary as a secretary in the 90's to get around the salary cap"

Salary cap was 10:18 Chris, dated 02 March 2010.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

When it come to salary cap breaches and stretches your Saints friend is on very shaky ground.

Granted in the more recent superleague years Wigan kakhandedly managed the cap and dishonourably stretched the spirit of the cap to avoid relegation.

But in recent years Saints have brown enveloped their way to trophy glory and just not been caught. At what price sucess?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

chris11 wrote:With a very bitter saints fan, I only started suporting Wigan from around 95 onwards so I have no knowledge of the days before that. It may of been around the time I started, but I don't remember. Il quote what was said,

Also

I constantly hear tripe like this.

Stains fans constantly ignore facts and attempt to recreate history (within their own tiny minds anyway).

If I hear once more, that Wigan were the only professional team in the 80's and 90's and that every other club's players worked 12 hour shifts down the pit prior to playing Wigan, I think I will punch that stains fan in the mush. Additionally (according to "them") we only bought our success anyway and cheated our way to virtually every trophy we won.

In a matter of fact (continuing the stains fan's delusion) Rugby League only became interesting and popular when Super League evolved
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Here's the best put down of all time for him. Just ask him if Saints have ever been in the second division? When he says no, as he almost certainly will, tell him he knows very little of his clubs history and suggest he does some research. That should shut him up for a while. AS CPW says above Saints were an insignificant second best to Pilks Recs prior to Jim Sullivan leaving Wigan to coach Saints. Many Pilks Recs fans actually started to support Wigan when their club folded, and that is why to this day there are still pockets of Wigan fans from St. Helens. Go get him.
chris11

Post by chris11 »

He isnt a friend, it was on a chat forum after the wigan win he decided to post. I posted near enough everything, he soon reported the post and had it all deleted :roll:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sounds like a petulant baby.