First Driving Lesson

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
THE 18th Man

First Driving Lesson

Post by THE 18th Man »

did my first driving lesson today and was just wondering how others got on when they were doing there first lesson.

i stalled 3 times and a bit pissed off with myself about it but wanted to know how others felt after their first lesson and any tips would be much appreciated.
gpartin

Re: First Driving Lesson

Post by gpartin »

Don't worry about it mate its bound to happen. I've had a full driving licence for 12 years and for the last few years I've been used to driving a Peugeot diesel which has a really heavy clutch and its virtually impossible to stall. I drove my mum's little Daewoo a few weeks ago and stalled it twice in about half an hour, it happens. I even stalled on my driving test but as long as you react to it in the right way its nothing to worry about, you'll get used to the car in a few lessons and you'll be fine. I can't really remember my first driving lesson but I did very little apart from driving in a straight line and using a couple of gears. Good luck with learning, passing your driving test is one of the best feelings ever imo.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

THE 18th Man wrote:did my first driving lesson today and was just wondering how others got on when they were doing there first lesson.

i stalled 3 times and a bit pissed off with myself about it but wanted to know how others felt after their first lesson and any tips would be much appreciated.
I crapped myself first time on the road, its a situation you have never been put through before, and quite frightening.
Stalling is a normal part of driving, even after passing your test, so no worries there at all.
Get as many miles on the road as you can, this builds confidence behind the wheel which is important.
If you have a car available, Ask your parents and friends (ones already passed their driving test) to help you.
Find out which of the driving instructors have a good pass rate (word of mouth).
Use this driving instructer to fine tune your driving skills for the test environment.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Oh yes definitely make sure you have a driver who takes you on test routes. In the area I drove in there were loads of unmarked crossroads that I would have probably missed had I not been round several times. Some drivers take you where its convenient for them.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

the_cow

Post by the_cow »

Two top tips are:

1) Find a decent driving instructor- one who 'plays the game' with the test and knows the instructors. Mine would only pick certain times of day as he knew what route the instructors would take.

2) Learn in a diesel- if your poor at clutch control then this will destroy your confidence & you won't get very far. You have to try hard to stall a diesel.

I went through 3 instructors before I found one that it 'clicked' with.
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My 1 bit of of advice would be drive, as much as you can as often as you can. If you got access to a car and someone willing to take you out, everynight get out there and drive, its all about practice, practice practice practice

Dont worry about stalling everyone does it, no-body gets in a car the first time and can drive properly. It takes time.

Oh and be prepared for bad days, even after you get better there will be days you get in the car and nothing goes well, its like anything in life, i have them and i been driving nearly 8 years, just keep calm and know that its just an off day

Lastly just enjoy it, driving is the biggest freedom ever
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

My first lesson with BSM was on rubble ground where Tesco Hindley is now, only drove for 20 minutes... good on them in that they didn't let me loose straight away. I did very well through my lesson tbh but learning with my parents was a different matter. My arch nemesis was the canal bridge at Red Rock, i could not get over it... once i passed on 2 green lights and beeping traffic before dad gave in and drove home in anger... i hate that bridge for stalling...

dont go to Red Rock
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Lol my dad took me there aswell! stupid bridge!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I learned with Central Park School of Motoring. I seem to remember my instructor was very good with the first lesson which IIRC was quite a scary experience and we spent most of the lesson driving around a big housing estate rather than in the heat of battle on main roads. LIkewise the first time I drove solo, after passing my test I took it easy. Driving solo for the first time was a scary experience
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

On top of the physical driving, try to read the highway code for 30 to 45 minutes on a regular basis.
The signs and signals that are difficult for you to remember, try to concentrate on them.
At your driving examination there may be some obscure signs shown to you, could be associated with driving or parking outside of schools. I got these on both my car and motorbike tests.