Wigan u18's beat Salford u18's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan u18's beat Salford u18's

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors 76 Salford City Reds 4

Hat tricks for both Matt Russell & Declan McLoughlin
Other try scorers were
Ian Thornley 2
Jack Hughes 2
Jack Murphy 2
Matt Norton
Danny Bridge

Jack Murphy kicked 10 goals

What can I say, they just carried on from the last game....
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: Wigan u18's beat Salford u18's

Post by cpwigan »

Pointless game really. It gives no benefit to any of our players bar the youngest. RL / Wigan are in a difficult position U18s offers at best 1 decent season for a 16 year old player whilst U20's offers a decent season for a 17 year old player, at a push an 18 year old.

Not sure if it is allowed but I would just have an U20s team and send any player 18 or over on dual lease playing 16 to 18 year olds in the U20s.

I would actually look to bump representative football up far more at this age with a Lancashire v Yorkshire best of 3, even best of 5 series and invite/tour NZ/Aus/PNG, play France B / U21s
No straw damn us

Re: Wigan u18's beat Salford u18's

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:Pointless game really. It gives no benefit to any of our players bar the youngest. RL / Wigan are in a difficult position U18s offers at best 1 decent season for a 16 year old player whilst U20's offers a decent season for a 17 year old player, at a push an 18 year old.

Not sure if it is allowed but I would just have an U20s team and send any player 18 or over on dual lease playing 16 to 18 year olds in the U20s.

I would actually look to bump representative football up far more at this age with a Lancashire v Yorkshire best of 3, even best of 5 series and invite/tour NZ/Aus/PNG, play France B / U21s
I agree. The last two games at Orrell, Leeds at U20 and Salford at U18 have been a waste of time, doing none of the sides any good.. I was talking to a Salford fan yesterday and was asking him how Salford managed to beat Warrington last week. He told me that Salford took all their chances and Wire out a lot of ball down. He said that if they played 10 times Wire would win 9.

I like the idea of a 3 or 5 game series v Yorkshire and more International competition. The Aussies are due over in November. The Salford fan was also telling me that the U18's will be graded after the eight games so we may get more competitive games in the second half of the season.