Early Rugby League Photos

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Early Rugby League Photos

Post by cpwigan »

NathanCroucher wrote:Is there any decent Rugby League films? This Sporting Life is a decent kitchen sink drama and there is the dreadful Up 'n' Under but other than that is there fictional Rugby League films?
British not really, I can recall a mini series or film called the First Kangaroos that Dennis Waterman was in.

Australian, Final Winter is watchable. Matty Johns and a few others are in that.
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

cpwigan wrote:I have a couple of early Central Park photographs.
How early CP? I'm after some pics of Cennie Park around the early 1900's

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not as early as that. I think they are 1930's/40's
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

ancientnloyal wrote:
MrDave wrote:Perhaps slightly off this topic but does anyone know where I can get hold of the plans for Central Park with stand measurement etc.
very ambitious :D

im sure the town hall will have the archives. FOI?
I don't think there will be any plans for Central Park, none that I know of anyway.
I used to work in the Architects Dept at Wigan Council and we had all sorts of plans for different buildings around Wigan. The New Town Hall, Municipal Buildings and the Civic Buildings (planning dept) and the Civic Centre (concrete monstrosity). I never came across any plans of Central Park, trust me I tried. The plans would have originally been submitted to the planning dept but when the Council totally refurbished the Civic Buildings next to the old gas showrooms nearly everything was binned. It's a long shot and I don't know where you would start, but if you could find out who built Central Park and who the Architects were, you could start there. Having said that, the chances are that the Architectural Practice that designed Central Park has long since disappeared.
The Wigan Council Architects Dept doesn't even exist any more, they were "sold off" as part of the departmental privatisation in the late '90's. They are now in a new purpose built building near the investment centre and they now trade under the company name NorthWest Property Services.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Sutty wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:
MrDave wrote:Perhaps slightly off this topic but does anyone know where I can get hold of the plans for Central Park with stand measurement etc.

I don't think there will be any plans for Central Park, none that I know of anyway.
I used to work in the Architects Dept at Wigan Council and we had all sorts of plans for different buildings around Wigan. The New Town Hall, Municipal Buildings and the Civic Buildings (planning dept) and the Civic Centre (concrete monstrosity). I never came across any plans of Central Park, trust me I tried. The plans would have originally been submitted to the planning dept but when the Council totally refurbished the Civic Buildings next to the old gas showrooms nearly everything was binned. It's a long shot and I don't know where you would start, but if you could find out who built Central Park and who the Architects were, you could start there. Having said that, the chances are that the Architectural Practice that designed Central Park has long since disappeared.
The Wigan Council Architects Dept doesn't even exist any more, they were "sold off" as part of the departmental privatisation in the late '90's. They are now in a new purpose built building near the investment centre and they now trade under the company name NorthWest Property Services.
Another problem will be the fact that CP changed many times over the years, from when it was just "Joe Hill's field" in 1902, with players changing in a nearby pub and no stands or terracing.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Sutty wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:

Another problem will be the fact that CP changed many times over the years, from when it was just "Joe Hill's field" in 1902, with players changing in a nearby pub and no stands or terracing.

I was only a young lad then.. :cool:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

These are taken form the last game at CP programme:

sorry for file size

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

Fantastic stuff,cheers for uploading them. They are interesting to say the least.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Have got about 95 images now click the link below to view album...

Mostly taken from books and old newspapers I will keep adding to it... have annotated as best I could.

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r102 ... l/History/
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame