Magic squad - looks like good news!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Magic squad - looks like good news!

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 742&type=1

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Michael Maguire has today named his 19 man squad for Sunday's Magic Clash against Huddersfield Giants at Murrayfield, 4pm kick off.

Back in the 19 after injury are scrum half Thomas Leuluai, prop Andy Coley and winger Darrell Goulding while Karl Pryce is also included in the squad for the first time in 2010. Martin Gleeson is also included after missing the Harlequins game.

Missing with small niggling injuries are prop Paul Prescott and full back Cameron Phelps. Paul Deacon is making good progress but is still not quite ready.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad

Martin Gleeson, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Sam Tomkins, Thomas Leuluai, Stuart Fielden, Mark Riddell, Andy Coley, Joel Tomkins, Sean O'Loughlin, Michael McIlorum, Phil Bailey, Iafeta Paleaaesina, Karl Pryce, Eamon O'Carroll, Lee Mossop, Darrell Goulding, Liam Farrell, Stefan Marsh.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Magic squad - looks like good news!

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Apart from Pryce - I am not sure what he has done to earn this unexpected recall! Perhaps we are still carrying injuries and given that we are down to the bare bones and this is a forced choice. Personally, I would rather Marsh or Charnley be given an opportunity, at least then we would be rewarding form and commitment.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Phelps bought a golf set today :eh:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
endoman

Post by endoman »

ancientnloyal wrote:Phelps bought a golf set today :eh:
Doesn't sound good, a " golf set" says to me mug wanting to spend dosh. Do the club have no tie up with Dave Clarke?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:Phelps bought a golf set today :eh:
Thats good to hear. Couple of years ago, 4 Wigan players turned up at Yarrow Valley for a knock. They were shown the door when the man spotted they only had 2 sets between them! :D
stegy

Post by stegy »

Well with Phelps out it looks like Richards to fullback Gleason and Carmont centers that leaves Goulding wing with Pryce on the other wing if so let's hope he pulls his finger out.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I hope I'm proved wrong, but can't beleive Pryce is a better otion than Ainscough.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

exile in Tiger country wrote:I hope I'm proved wrong, but can't beleive Pryce is a better otion than Ainscough.
Me either but I hope Pryce does well if he plays.

There may be a financial side of it here as Ainscough qualifies for dual reg status and Pryce does not so Pryce could not go to Widnes in a dual reg deal, only a full loan agreement.

Ainscough is cheaper for clubs like Cas and Widens to sign whereas I think Pryce not only rules himself out of dual reg on age grounds but I believe he is one of the top 25 earners at the club. So given his form and his salary cost he won't be that attractive an option to take on loan so he has had to languish in the reserves.

I am hoping that his average play in the reserves as reported by those who watch the team is down to him playing down to their level rather than that is the best he has to offer.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote:I hope I'm proved wrong, but can't beleive Pryce is a better otion than Ainscough.
Me either but I hope Pryce does well if he plays.

There may be a financial side of it here as Ainscough qualifies for dual reg status and Pryce does not so Pryce could not go to Widnes in a dual reg deal, only a full loan agreement.

Ainscough is cheaper for clubs like Cas and Widens to sign whereas I think Pryce not only rules himself out of dual reg on age grounds but I believe he is one of the top 25 earners at the club. So given his form and his salary cost he won't be that attractive an option to take on loan so he has had to languish in the reserves.

I am hoping that his average play in the reserves as reported by those who watch the team is down to him playing down to their level rather than that is the best he has to offer.

Dave
So do I. I'm hoping MM has seen something from him in training that hasn't been seen in his reserve games so far.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cherry.pie wrote:With Gleeson not playing and Phelps likely to miss out (he was originally left out the squad with a niggling injury) it makes it an interesting decision as to who plays.

Without Phelps and Gleeson Madge could go for -

Richards; Pryce, Goulding, Carmont, Marsh. That's quite an inexperienced backline though.

He could also go for -

Richards; Goulding, J Tomkins, Carmont, Pryce/Marsh.

If Marsh, Pryce and Goulding all play I'm not sure who will play left or right and who will be centre or wing. It's not an ideal situation for Maguire.
Normally Pryce plays wing and Marsh centre, in the reserves. Very inexperienced threquarter line though, whichever combination gets used. I know they've a few players missing too, but I'm a lot less confident than I was when it was thought Gleeson would be fit.