A Bit of Retro.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
A49

A Bit of Retro.

Post by A49 »

60 years or so ago, standing in the henpen, the hairs on the back of my neck stood rigid when that gladiatorial music accompanied Wigan's entrance to the pitch.

It was rousing and inspirational to players and spectators alike.

Questions:

What was it called?

Is it too dated to be used now, if only occasionally as a sort of nostalgia theme (for those of us old enough)?

Why not try it at the Saints game to test the reaction - it will, at least, make some old men very happy?
josie andrews

Re: A Bit of Retro.

Post by josie andrews »

A49 wrote:60 years or so ago, standing in the henpen, the hairs on the back of my neck stood rigid when that gladiatorial music accompanied Wigan's entrance to the pitch.

It was rousing and inspirational to players and spectators alike.

Questions:

What was it called?

Is it too dated to be used now, if only occasionally as a sort of nostalgia theme (for those of us old enough)?

Why not try it at the Saints game to test the reaction - it will, at least, make some old men very happy?

It was called 'Entry of the Gladiators', it was also used at some circuses if I remember correctly.

I have it on my mobile as a ring tone :blush: not that I use it mind :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

A49, you make me feel young.

If they played it now, before the team came out I'm sure it would solve the problem people have been having in the south stand wiv our youf. They'd all up and go.

Must agree though, the opening bit was stirring stuff but then it petered out into that sort of clownish, juggling bit, which sort of spoiled it.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Yeh, I'm a bit of an "Old Git" and Josie is spot-on. I seem to remember it was used by a lot of clubs (football as well as RL).
A bit like Tina Turner's "Simply the Best" and Queens "We are the Champions".
Be nice to hear them again.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

i always theough that was called "march of the gladiator" . it was a great entry tune,

i like what Bratford enter to in the 2nd half," enter sandman" from metalica.

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Ellery57

Post by Ellery57 »

No it was not by Sousa but by Julius Fucik - honest![youtube][/youtube]
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

It has been written that an intellectual is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger – having said that, am I the only one who thinks that this music should be used for the entrance of the referee?
jammie

Post by jammie »

i would like us to come out to"fanfare for the common man"it's the one they always associate with space travel good sturing stuff though.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

jammie wrote:i would like us to come out to"fanfare for the common man"it's the one they always associate with space travel good sturing stuff though.
Nah, it's too American. I like your train of thought though, something really stirring. Man Utd come out to the Rocky music (can't remember it's proper name). I reckon that's a good intro.