How far have we come?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woodentop07

Re: How far have we come?

Post by Woodentop07 »

I think this season has exceeded most peoples expectations!!
I cannot wait to see the change in some of our players with a full off season with Bitcon doing their training programmes, a few of our players will have a bit more bulk!!
This season has been fantastic so far and I hope a grand final awaits but I have high hopes for next season!!
Wigan til i die!!
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I, like everyone was gutted come Sunday evening. Absolutely devasted. BUT. The reality is that the loss to Saints has knocked us back to only a 2 point lead at the top of the Superleague. Looking at it from that perspective, it's amazing how far we've come. If you offered me that statistic at this point last season, I'd have snatched your hand off.

Yes we stand a chance of going all the way this year but we're far from a complete unit and as many have commented, the squad is likely to change for next season. If we look at this moment in time as a springboard to next season, then, I think we're in pretty good shape.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Madge did not how the squad he inherited played as a unit he has really made the changes got them fitter we are top of the league .Personally I think he is experimenting with the squad he has his team selection's might have us a bit perplexed but is this not his stategy of knowing the players he wants to see here next season and identifying the weaknesses in the team.He is giving all the squad to show their worth IMHO he will have his squad sorted for the final run barring injuries and hopefully to win the GF.I think he has identified the weakness in the team and hopefully recruit for next season.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

DaveO wrote:We are where we are because of what we have done so far not that other teams have conspired to give us an easy ride IMO. Wins at Saints and away at Wire in particular are why we are at the top not mid table.
Wigan were lucky to beat Warrington, Saints.

Against Warrington, Wigan were out played for the majority of the game but got back into the game when Wire lost both there play makers and but for a matter of centimetres Wire would have won it in the last minute. At Knowsley Road Wigan did defend well but the weather and the fact Saints were not on top form was big help to Wigan.

Even under Noble Wigan were able to beat teams like Leeds, Saints and Warrington the trouble was doing it often enough to win anything.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

As has been said, MM has worked wonders in his first season with a team he totally inherited. It should also be remembered that we went into 2010 with an already settled squad for the first time in years.

Many contracts are ending this year and no doubt he will be picking some new blood for 2011.

My only concern is that we don't revert to previous seasons' experiences whereby we bring in expensive journeymen and use their 'settling in time' as the reason we are unable to break out of the bottom four before Easter.

I really thought Bradford would be a major force this season with their big signings but look what happened. Orford is out for the rest of the season and, if rumours are to be believed, desperate to go home!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrDave wrote:
DaveO wrote:We are where we are because of what we have done so far not that other teams have conspired to give us an easy ride IMO. Wins at Saints and away at Wire in particular are why we are at the top not mid table.
Wigan were lucky to beat Warrington, Saints.

Against Warrington, Wigan were out played for the majority of the game but got back into the game when Wire lost both there play makers and but for a matter of centimetres Wire would have won it in the last minute. At Knowsley Road Wigan did defend well but the weather and the fact Saints were not on top form was big help to Wigan.

Even under Noble Wigan were able to beat teams like Leeds, Saints and Warrington the trouble was doing it often enough to win anything.
Under Noble we could win those games but didn't back the wins up as inconsistency was the problem and this is not a problem we have now. Yes we could beat the top teams but would then lose to the Crusaders or the like.

As to being fortunate to win at Wire we would have lost that game last season IMO and IMO the Saints game as well.

So we have got rid of the inconsistency, won away at Wire in SL for the first time and beat Saints in a pressure game that was the last derby at KR.

Put all this together and you end up at the top of the league rather than mid table so I think this represents real improvement the team a coaches deserve some credit for.

Dave
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

You make a very good point there DaveO.

I have just been in a pub where the conversation was interesting, involving both football and rugby.

We discussed Roy Hodgson who, if Capello had been sacked, was odds on for the England job and failing that, will take over at Liverpool. The Fulham vacancy is destined to be filled by Sven Goran Ericsson!

Three managers named there who will all command 7 figure salaries, and not one of them can claim the success of a Busby, Stein, Shankly or a Paisley, all of whom worked for substantially lesser remuneration!

Then we discussed Maguire, a totally unknown quantity who, as I have previously stated, has worked miracles with someone elses team!

If England could find a football equivalent of Madge, the World Cup would be ours for the taking!