ANOTHER Close Game On Sky Now!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: ANOTHER Close Game On Sky Now!

Post by cpwigan »

Wire are quite a puzzle. They have lots of attacking threats and are capable of putting points on teams and dominating them BUT if you can withstand their bully boy tendency and put them under pressure they start making lots of mistakes. Their aggression is often counterproductive as they are too eager and keen to get in the faces of the opposition / kickers that a direct approach causes far more problems for them than it should. Once busted, you are then faced with Mathers waving the white flag.

Wire clearly struggle to beat other top teams and their CC successes are often reliant on the other top teams knocking each other out.
ian b

Post by ian b »

cpwigan wrote:Wire are quite a puzzle. They have lots of attacking threats and are capable of putting points on teams and dominating them BUT if you can withstand their bully boy tendency and put them under pressure they start making lots of mistakes. Their aggression is often counterproductive as they are too eager and keen to get in the faces of the opposition / kickers that a direct approach causes far more problems for them than it should. Once busted, you are then faced with Mathers waving the white flag.

Wire clearly struggle to beat other top teams and their CC successes are often reliant on the other top teams knocking each other out.
When Wigan play em we just have to bomb mathers and riley and hopefully get Richards on rileys wing, job done :lol: oh and smash that little git briers
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I don't know how he gets away with some of that stuff - he conned the ref into giving an interference penalty, with a dive worthy of a wendyballer, then took out Donald in the air and the officials "didn't see it".
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

GeoffN wrote:I don't know how he gets away with some of that stuff - he conned the ref into giving an interference penalty, with a dive worthy of a wendyballer, then took out Donald in the air and the officials "didn't see it".
He laughed and joked with a very gullible referee. He subsequently got away with murder because Childs believed Lee was a nice person and liked him.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

GeoffN wrote:I don't know how he gets away with some of that stuff - he conned the ref into giving an interference penalty, with a dive worthy of a wendyballer, then took out Donald in the air and the officials "didn't see it".
I missed a fair bit of the game today because I was busy but had it online in the background. First thing I said when I went on the chat later in the game was 'has either Mathers or Briers thrown themselves on the floor to milk a penalty?' I guess the answer was yes. When I went to Hull v Warrington earlier in the season Hull had been defending their line really well for a couple of sets, wire kicked on the last and Hull player dived on the ball. mathers went in with knees on the floor but Hull player stood up to play the ball about 5 yards from his own try line. As he played the ball Mathers threw himself on the ground and the ref penalised Hull giving Wire another set of six from which they scored. Hull were still in the game but they were then penalised for offside at the kick off. Wire kicked to touch but only went a further ten down field. The first tackle after the tap was on Briers who clearly had his arm wrapped round the tackler's arm as he tried to get up and the ref immediately blew his whistle and penalised Hull. Due to blatant cheating Wire went from having wasted pressure to scoring and being 20 yards from try line on first tackle with a total of about 7 or 8 yards run with the ball. seriously they are masters of deception and nothing is ever said or done about it.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Childs had a fairly reasonable game, I thought (compared to some refs we've seen!), but he did miss a lot of Wire's niggling (including a typical Morley high shot in the first minute).
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I don't know what was more enjoyable watching Leeds beat Wire or watching Richie Mathers capitulate under pressure.

It's bad enough as a full back having any player run around you but when that player is 34 years old it is just embarrassing, I don't think his attempted to stop Senior can even go down as a missed tackle because he was no where near him.

For the final McGuire try all McGuire had to do is run in a straight line, from the reverse angle you can see Mathers lining up to make the tackle and then he just disappears.

When Wigan signed Gleeson, the £100,000 fee wasn't for Gleeson it was for Warrington to take Mathers away
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

MrDave wrote:I don't know what was more enjoyable watching Leeds beat Wire or watching Richie Mathers capitulate under pressure.

It's bad enough as a full back having any player run around you but when that player is 34 years old it is just embarrassing, I don't think his attempted to stop Senior can even go down as a missed tackle because he was no where near him.

For the final McGuire try all McGuire had to do is run in a straight line, from the reverse angle you can see Mathers lining up to make the tackle and then he just disappears.

When Wigan signed Gleeson, the £100,000 fee wasn't for Gleeson it was for Warrington to take Mathers away
Following on from the Mathers' ego thread, how big headed of him is it to decide to leave Wire, simply because they have signed Hodgson and Mathers will no longer be the first choice fullback? Smith has already stated that he wont be playing Hodgson in every game, Mathers would still get a lot of game time and it might actually help him to play olongside a class fullback who he could learn a lot off.

As I keep getting told when I'm on the golf course, Mathers is confusing ambition with ability. Rumours are that Cas are after him, it's hardly a step up, is it? The big headed, self righteous fool.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Matthew wrote:Was delightful to see wire lose against another top club - surely we must be getting close to their usual season implosion?

Even with the poor referee decisions they couldn't finish off a depleted Leeds side - perhaps they should look into fitting the ref under the cap too?
The implosion comes round about CC final time doesn't it?
I think I hate wire more than snakes, just because of Briers.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09