Mark Riddell Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Salsa Caliente

Re: Mark Riddell Leaving

Post by Salsa Caliente »

In any profession, whatever your walk of life, family comes first.

Hopefully he can leave with Super League Grand Final ring on his finger.

Good luck Piggy. Not only for this season but to you and your family.
R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

I'm made up for the guy that as he returns to Aus for sad reasosns, he goes with the growing repsect of most people on this web site. His turnaround over the close season and progression through playing season has been exceptional, and has proven a lot of doubters wrong. Let's just hope he now signs off in real style and leaves an impression in all our hearts.

Good luck Piggy, with everything that's going to go on in your future.

Now, how much would it cost for Madge to go shopping in Melbourne . . .
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

Roby would do for me, and saints have more hookers than sense, so maybe a deal could be done.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Id prefer Moore to Roby out of the stains locker. MM has a terry newton-esq style to his play so maybe a nipper hooker that attacks the ruck would offset him nicely, Tommy fits that bill. I think that would be the smartest move and bring a class 7 and a class prop in.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

oh and a quick note i do wish Piggy and his family well
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin wrote:
Brad5926 wrote:'Technically' the next players to step up to the Hooker position is......Logan Tomkins :cool:
is he that good or do people want him in because his name is Tomkins? I've seen very mixed reviews and don't know what to think. I reckon Farrell could make a decent hooker down the line.
Much as I'd love to see all three of them in the side, I don't think Logan is ready yet. His defence is as good as the other two (which says a lot), and he reads a game well, but his passing can still be a bit erratic, and he can be a bit too greedy at times (yeah, so can Sam, I admit!). Couple of years, maybe? He's still only 18, don't forget.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

pieater-alex wrote:
medlocke wrote:
cpwigan wrote:He is never mentioned but if the club wanted a different style of hooker to Mickey Mac then Aaron Payne from the Cowboys would be ideal. He offers far more than Monaghan on the footballing / creative side.

Mickey Mac is capable of playing 80 minutes though.
isn't good enough though, maybe a season elsewhere on loan would do him a world of good, maybe bring in an old stager similar to Millard, but with more left in the tank for one last season, what is Malcolm Alker or Brad Drew doing next season or are they past it?

somebody has said elsewhere that Wigan along with Warrington have offered a 2 year deal to Anthony Quinn.
Mike McIlorum is good enough. Perhaps not for 80 minutes, but he is a very talented player who is in excellent form recently. If he keeps this level of improvement and form up for the rest of the season I think he'll get a lengthy contract.

The suggestion of Malcolm Alker or Brad Drew is frightening. I'm glad you're just a fan and have no influence on the recruitment of Wigan RL.
:eusa2: Could not have put it better. Spot on Alex :eusa2:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:
medlocke wrote: isn't good enough though, maybe a season elsewhere on loan would do him a world of good, maybe bring in an old stager similar to Millard, but with more left in the tank for one last season, what is Malcolm Alker or Brad Drew doing next season or are they past it?

somebody has said elsewhere that Wigan along with Warrington have offered a 2 year deal to Anthony Quinn.
Mike McIlorum is good enough. Perhaps not for 80 minutes, but he is a very talented player who is in excellent form recently. If he keeps this level of improvement and form up for the rest of the season I think he'll get a lengthy contract.

The suggestion of Malcolm Alker or Brad Drew is frightening. I'm glad you're just a fan and have no influence on the recruitment of Wigan RL.
:eusa2: Could not have put it better. Spot on Alex :eusa2:
i dont know why i even mentioned Alker in the first placewhen i was thinking of Mark Smith
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

medlocke wrote:
i dont know why i even mentioned Alker in the first placewhen i was thinking of Mark Smith
You have a different idea to me of what constitutes "thinking".
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

medlocke wrote:
cpwigan wrote:He is never mentioned but if the club wanted a different style of hooker to Mickey Mac then Aaron Payne from the Cowboys would be ideal. He offers far more than Monaghan on the footballing / creative side.

Mickey Mac is capable of playing 80 minutes though.
isn't good enough though, maybe a season elsewhere on loan would do him a world of good, maybe bring in an old stager similar to Millard, but with more left in the tank for one last season, what is Malcolm Alker or Brad Drew doing next season or are they past it?

I know that you like to provoke a bit of a reaction Medlocke - but Alker? He should have retired last season and wasn't that good in his prime.

Drew is crafty - but again should retire at the end of the season; as he is out a lot with injury and can't play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

One thing is for sure: if Mickey Mac isn't "Wigan Standard" then neither are those two!

If we are to sign another Hooker - then let MM use his NRL/Melbourne connections and see what he can turn up.

Roby wouldn't leave stains even if we wanted him. KFC is likely to retire at the end of the season - or if he doesn't, he will play a lot less next year. Roby has waited an age to be the number one hooker at stains and whilst I don't think that he is any more a starting hooker than he was a valid man of steel - he probably won't see it like that.

Best wishes to Mark; let's hope he can leave with a Grand Final winners ring on his finger!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------