Cold Light of Day !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HappyHooker

Re: Cold Light of Day !!

Post by HappyHooker »

robjoenz posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
Come on people act before it's to late, write to the papers, write to Betts & Doris, e-mail anyone who might make a difference, do anything, but do something !!

:(
...maybe you could hire... The A Team!
Mr T for new prop!! He'd look good in Cherry and White.
Being a warrior is not just a past-time; it's a choice of life.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

100% Warrior, what like the deadline for finalising the Farrell transfer, fat lot of deadline that was :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

I take your point.

All I was trying to say was how can the club make decisions for the future if the present owners don't even know if they'll be there come next season.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

100% Warrior posted:
I take your point.

All I was trying to say was how can the club make decisions for the future if the present owners don't even know if they'll be there come next season.
its doris on his free yearly holidat to aus does it come into the salary cap
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
bertina

Post by bertina »

wnac, just what do you expect anyone to do in the short term. Yes the present team is not good enough, no argument about that. But it is impossible to change all the personnel overnight. Because of the salary cap, and 20/20 rule the club's hands are tied.
Ian Millward, tony smith, chris anderson, john monie, or uncle tom cobley couldn't stop players making schoolboy errors.
We all know your opinion of denis betts, but no coach in the world could do much better with the players currently available for selection.
we would all like to swap four or five of the current squad for Morley, Fielden, Kimmorley, Sculthorpe, and macguire, but we also all know that no matter how much bleating we do, it's not possible at the moment even if they were available.
I'll reserve judgement until I see next season's signings and the full FIT!!!! squad.
with what we have at the moment, this season is about gritting teeth and battling through the best we can, it doesn't mean the end of the club.
Sacking betts, or doris or all the pitchside protests you like are not going to get Wigan out of the current situation in the immediate future, the 20/20, and salary cap rules have us by the b***s.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

bertina posted:
wnac, just what do you expect anyone to do in the short term. Yes the present team is not good enough, no argument about that. But it is impossible to change all the personnel overnight. Because of the salary cap, and 20/20 rule the club's hands are tied.
Ian Millward, tony smith, chris anderson, john monie, or uncle tom cobley couldn't stop players making schoolboy errors.
We all know your opinion of denis betts, but no coach in the world could do much better with the players currently available for selection.
we would all like to swap four or five of the current squad for Morley, Fielden, Kimmorley, Sculthorpe, and macguire, but we also all know that no matter how much bleating we do, it's not possible at the moment even if they were available.
I'll reserve judgement until I see next season's signings and the full FIT!!!! squad.
with what we have at the moment, this season is about gritting teeth and battling through the best we can, it doesn't mean the end of the club.
Sacking betts, or doris or all the pitchside protests you like are not going to get Wigan out of the current situation in the immediate future, the 20/20, and salary cap rules have us by the b***s.
excellent post let,s look forward we may have to take a few beatings now but we,ll come back stronger for it
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina posted:
That is your opinion and not one I share.

The team is making the same mistakes week in, week out. It's attack is non-existant and I see no change in tactics. Betts selections are starting to look like panic responses to each problem that confornts him.

For example shifting David V to full back in place of Melling broke up the one part of the team that has been consistently good, the Brett and David V double act.

A better coach would have been working on Mellings technique and instilling the confidence and beleif in him, not basically telling him he's not good enough at full back and only in the team because we haven't got anyone else which is how moving him from full back to centre looks.

He subbed Colbon when he made a mistake and this is not the way to get a players confidence up.

I am starting to doubt if Denis has the ability to coach what he has available to anything better than we are seeing at the moment but at the same time beleive these lads are capable of playing better.

I think any of those you mention would stand a better chance of getting more out of the team than Betts is currently doing.

The fact is something has got to change because if they carry on like this we are in for a fight to avoid relegation. If Denis can't change the way the team is playing the club will have no option but to try someone else in the job. Simple as that.
Which means Betts has no alternative but to get what we have playing better. If new players are not the solution better coaching must be. I am at the stage now where I don't care who (with the possible exception of Millward) delivers that better coaching so long as someone does. If Denis can do it, fine but he needs to start delivering and quick.
We can't wait until next season. The SL games aren't going to win themselves to keep us in the top flight. We have to be competative now.
If we serve up more of Friday's fare it could result in a disaster. The team is going backwards.
You can't leave things as they are with performances like last Friday's. Something has got to change. If Denis can't get what remains of our squad to play better than they are Mo has to bring in someone who can. It is not a matter of sacking Betts as a form of punishment or spite but more a matter of making sure the team is coached properly. If Betts can't offer that he should not wait to be replaced but he himself should step aside.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

so who,s available as new coach and who would you want if you had the choice of anyone.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Apart from the bit where no coach in the world could do more than Betts!! Do coaches do nothing now? All we get from him is "the players are making the wrong decisions". Really? Who decided to kick for 2 points recently (Leeds game I think)? Who makes Newton skipper then keeps taking him off? Who lets Brown make mistake after mistake but drags off Colbon - probably shattering him for ages - for 1 slip up? Who watched his full back Melling getting slaughtered under the high ball and did nothing in the Widnes game?

No doubt the easter period will now get mentioned (funny how far back you have 2 go to look for a bright spot this season). We were outscored in tries by Saints and Tickle won us that game, and we overcame Hull thanks to a penalty count of something like 7-0 in the second half.

The other points in Bertina's post I will accept, but don't try and tell me Tony Smith isn't a better coach than Denis Betts.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

waterside glens posted:
so who,s available as new coach and who would you want if you had the choice of anyone.
Somebody like Phil Gould. Don't know if he is available but if restricted to those available isn't Chris Anderson looking for a job?

I can't say I think he is that good but Betts coaching is looking pretty dire to me so almost anything is better than nothing.

Dave