Mathers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Mathers

Post by Matthew »

The most enthusiastic/inept fullback has joined the tigers!

Don't know who I feel more sorry for!

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... eford.html
Castleford have confirmed the capture of Warrington full-back Richard Mathers on a three-year contract.

The 26-year-old former Leeds and Wigan player will join the Tigers next season after rejecting the offer of a new deal from the Wolves, who are set to hand the full-back role to new signing Brett Hodgson in 2011.

The Leeds-born Mathers, who had contemplated a switch of codes, said: "Joining Cas is a good move for me and a great opportunity.

"I could have stayed with Warrington but Tony Smith has been honest with me and, with Brett Hodgson signing, he couldn't guarantee me a position.

"At 26, I believe that my best rugby is ahead of me, I didn't want to be just regarded as a squad player."

Mathers added: "I had a number of firm options on the table from both Super League clubs and rugby union but this seemed a good opportunity.

"I'm very ambitious to achieve things and feel that I can achieve those ambitions, both personally and for my club with Castleford.

"I have spoken with Terry (Matterson) at length and he convinced me that the club, especially with the new stadium in the pipeline, have the recipe to take off.

"That fits the bill for my ambitions, so in the end it became an easy decision."

Mathers, who won a Grand Final with Leeds, becomes Castleford's first signing for 2011, although they recently tied young full-back Richard Owen to a new two-year deal.

Tigers head coach Terry Matterson said: "I'm extremely pleased to have been able to get Richard on board.

"He is a quality player with plenty of experience, a good communicator and a real professional. And he is still only 26 so I would expect him to be pressing to win a place back in the England squad.

"He will be a good role model for Richie Owen and I look forward to working with Richard when he joins us ahead of the 2011 campaign."
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
DaveO

Re: Mathers

Post by DaveO »

At 26, I believe that my best rugby is ahead of me..
It certainly isn't behind him.

Very enthusiastic (tries too hard at times) but is finding his level i.e. a downward trend from Wigan to Wire to Cas.

Dave
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

He won't even be starting full back at Castleford.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

He'll find his level eventually. Widnes or Leigh, probably.

I'm more concerned about Wire signing Hodgson; that will massively strengthen their side, both in the fullback position and the goalkicking duties.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Richie Owen is a better player than him
Brian McTigue

Post by Brian McTigue »

Good luck
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

GeoffN wrote:He'll find his level eventually. Widnes or Leigh, probably.

I'm more concerned about Wire signing Hodgson; that will massively strengthen their side, both in the fullback position and the goalkicking duties.
It looks like it at first glance - however I wouldn't be surprised if he has a similar season to sean long at Hull. Hodgson has missed a fair few games this season and he isn't getting any younger.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds