Why were Huddersfield dirty?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Why were Huddersfield dirty?

Post by ancientnloyal »

I know they may have a little beef with us beiing voyeuristic after sean o'loughlin's legitimate crunch on luke robinson in edinburgh but today was ridiculous. A blatant stamp on Fielden's ankle was horrific, sickly even could so easily damage ligaments... plus a grapple and a shove to the floor. Not to mention luke "i was looking at the ball" robinson's challenge on sam tomkins under the kick he was looking straight at sam... the kick away collecting the ball, professional fouls blocking runners, tackling players without the ball... silly. As a neautral i would be unhappy about the spectacle but we have bentham who spoiled it more, couldn't control it... obviously, as he dislikes wigan
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
chris11

Re: Why were Huddersfield dirty?

Post by chris11 »

I thought it was pathetic to be honest...after the first try they didnt even look interested in playing rugby. That Kevin Brown tackled in Sam when he never had the ball should of been a straight red, had he recieved the ball he would of gone over... there was no in front to stop him going over the try line. Had it been a last min moment they would of shown red, why should it be any different if its earlier in the game?

And as for Mason... should of been a red aswell, just seen it on sky sports news and it looks worse then I thought it would be. He actually positioned his foot before he stamped on it aswell, he placed Fieldens foot on the ground then stamped on it.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

answer to this play WIHOUT refs we sould mansge to win every match.it is always the refs fault :eh:
doc

Post by doc »

Huddersfield were dirty cos BENTham allowed them to be. When H was tackled without the ball early in the first half he should have sin binned Lawrence. He didn't and Huddersfield used this as a guide to what he would let them get away with which was anything they wanted. I suspect a few bans will come out of the scrap (first 26 man battle I've seen for a while). Mason will probably get the naughty boy , dont do it again treatment while Stu will get 1 match for striking and 9 matches for wearing cherry and white. As stated earlier the foul on Fielden by Mason was deliberate and cowardly. He should get a serious ban but won't.

The ref also warned them for time wasting yet allowed them to continue kicking the ball away at every scrum, free kick and dropout. One of them should have gone in the bin for that as well.
ian b

Post by ian b »

just watched the game on sky when i got back.Mason is an effing coward and for a big man he is a shithouse.To position a players foot and then stamp on it is pathetic and then when it hits the fan you turn your back and walk off because you get hit.He should really be banned until next season for what he did or he should think about taking up football :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

oldtimer wrote: answer to this play WIHOUT refs we sould mansge to win every match.it is always the refs fault :eh:
It's nothing to do with who's fault the result was. If you can't see anything wrong in what Mason did then you have an odd view of the game. That wasn't a legitimate bell ringer of a tackle or any such thing but cynical dirty play that he got off lightly with.

If it looks worse on Sky sports than it did at the ground than that is going some and if he gets banned (as he should) then yet again we have a ref copping out on a sending off offence and some other team will benefit.

Hudds must love it when Bentham gets one of their games.

Dave
Sue d'Nym

Post by Sue d'Nym »

I haven't seen it on tv yet and prefer to watch that before I comment on the ref's performance, but surely the RFL shoud be considering the NRL approach?

Our game is now far too fast for the current system to continue and for us to expect high standards of refereeing, chenge needs to happen.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it was pathetic and deserved whatever based on how infantile it was but before we get carried away it wasn't violent or with done with incredible force. It was sly and contemptable but in terms of viciousness it reminded me of Beckham when he got sent off in a World Cup.
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Huddersfield have been like that for 2 or 3 seasons now. Spoilers at best and snidey, dirty little cheats at worst.

Give them a ref like Bentham and it's like Christmas for them.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

As well as being off colour in some of their tactics they also indulged in a lot of time wasting. It was an obvious tactic to spoil the flow of the game and create frustration in the Wigan players. Sadly it worked very well for them.

This is only my second season watching Rugby League in general, and Wigan in particular, so I am reluctant to blame referee's, as I probably still don't understand all the nuances of the game. Notwithstanding this however, I have come to the conclusion that the standard is way below what the players, and we as spectators, have a right to expect. Forward passes and offsides are an absolute joke; holding down likewise. There is simply no proper standard of adjudication in these areas. Most referee's seem content to let the players run the play's and only get involved in blindingly obvious transgressions. Someone earlier suggested the Aussie way as the road forward, but I would like to see the linesmen more involved in our game before this happens.

Regarding sendings off. A classic example of two different attitudes today. On my way to the DW today I listened to some of the commentary on the L/pool v Arsenal game. Joe Cole got sent off for a reckless tackle. The two commentators on 5 live both thought it was a bit harsh, as Joe wouldn't deliberately set out to hurt someone, say they! The rule however states that a reckless tackle, regardless of intent, warrants a sending off. The main point of this action was to punish L/pool TODAY in their match against Arsenal. In the Fielding incident the Huddersfield player served a 10 minute sin-bin and was then free to play on. Where is the benefit to Wigan in that? He should have been sent off, thereby giving Wigan an advantage TODAY. Our ref's funk these decisions, other than the little martinet from St Helens, who just gets it wrong!!!

Never thought I'd say this, but we missed Gleeson today imo, and when oh when is Amos going to be fit to play?