Wigan 16 Huddersfield 18

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Wigan 16 Huddersfield 18

Post by cpwigan »

Speaking afterwards Head Coach Michael Maguire said,

"It was very frustrating and disappointing for all of us a group but we will get alot out of that game today. There are areas we can definately improve on.

"We probably pushed passes and dropped too much ball in the first half, if you don't take your opportunities it can turn around on you and unfortunately tonight it was one of those games.

"Huddersfield are a tough team and they showed that last year and again this year, they are a strong defensive team and it proved a real tussle in the middle. There was alot of dropped ball from the toughness of the contact that was made. It was too tough teams at each other."

Asked about Sam's try and whether he thought the game was won, Michael added,

"It was a special play but I knew they were still in the game and for us unfortunately it went the wrong way tonight."
doc

Post by doc »

Pryce was dire. Way too slow. No explosive pace and poor agility. It was only a matter of time before Hodgson went past him and what on earth was that attempted kick late in the second half.

Thought Sam, Stu, and Coley had solid games but we were cruelly exposed down our left when Carmont went off. Joel has the pace for a makeshift centre if were short on numbers but doesn't organise the defence as well as George does.

What was wrong with Goulding? Still problems with the dead leg?
doc

Post by doc »

Personally I thought Marsh had a reasonable game. Ran the ball in well, good stepping and having to work hard in defence cos of the useless lump playing outside him!
doc

Post by doc »

would have been a simple walk in try had he passed to Pryce but instead went back inside.
See my earlier post re useless lump.

He would have pulled a hamstring, snapped his achilles and ruptured his knee ligaments before he reached the try line with his injury record.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

You could tell the game was going to be close and so coming away form the two times Hudds held players back without the ball without any points was criminal. This was a game where taking the two was the sensible option but either way it simply means Hudds got away with cheating - two professional fouls and points saved.

Mason stamping on Fielden's ankle was IMO a send off offence. If anyone has ever had a stud near a foot or ankle bone they will know who that feels. Very dangerous.

After that incident we lost the plot because before it I thought we looked quite comfortable.

Hudds won the game by successfully playing the ref and winding us up IMO. It doesn't give them any credit for doing so either.

I agree we certainly need bodies back if we are to compete in the playoffs. McIllorum for sure and a full back. For all his heroics in scoring the try we had no one at home for what was obviously going to be a kick on the last tackle.

Several players proved they aren't good enough tonight. Pryce has surely got to go. Rumours in rlfans a while back he would get another year. Why?

Feka didn't do his supporters any favours tonight as he looked ponderous but then with Davis not played he had to be a normal rather than impact prop.

If (when) we win the league it will be a credit to the club simply because we have had lots of injuries to deal with this year. Hansen, O'Carroll, Roberts and McIllorum have all missed lots of games yet we are still top of the league and others have missed significant game time as well such as Lockers.

Unfortunately if we don't get players back they will be our only achievement this season.

Dave
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

I was surprised they won really. There are a few highlights though with Sam's try being one of them. I can't believed Mason scratched Fielden though. Who on earth scratches? I wouldn't be surprised if the Mason had started pulling his hair. The chances were few and far between and it was close in the end but I think it was Karl Pryce that lost us the game today, he always looks lost, perhaps somebody should give him directions back to Bradford.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

For all his off the field antics we really missed GLEESON tonight IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We did PW. He is still a decent player whatever anybody says.
Sue d'Nym

Post by Sue d'Nym »

I thought that we missed Prescott, he does a massive amount of work and very often goes unrecognised.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

All other things being equal:

Goulding in for Pryce = we win.

First professional foul carded = we win

Carmont stays on = we win

Prescott instead of Davies = we win

Mason sent off = we win

Bearing in mind all the injuries prior to the game, mistakes during the game, Hudds current form and desire to win etc I am astonished how much some Wigan fans are looking into this as a bad omen for the playoffs and stuff on RLfans. Absolutely everything apart from the weather was against us winning the game yet we lost by only two points a change in any single one of those circumstances and the result would have been different and the doubters amongst our own fans would be saying how well we did in the circumstances as I am now.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."