Wonderful Wigan Town

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
sudokuwarrior

Re: Wonderful Wigan Town

Post by sudokuwarrior »

We have a narrowboat usually moored up at Red Rock but not at the moment because of the canal being shut.
The futures Brett, The future's orange!!!

2007- A fan-tash-tic season!!!!!!!
East Stand Al

Post by East Stand Al »

NathanCroucher wrote:I think this town is pretty brilliant although I am not without criticism. I can't help but compare it with other towns though, I used to naively think we were good enough to get city status, I realise that is unlikely but what do you think can be done to improve this town and bring up to speed with other places, even ahead of other places?

I would just be interested in peoples thoughts that all.

I for one think we need a decent arts venue for a start, somewhere to see good shows and more music.
Home of the most famous Rugby League Club in the World

Home of Northern Soul

We have Haigh Hall for music.

London has Petticoat Lane. We have The Wiend.

Wigan is and always will be my home. I love it and, apart from it's so-called football team, am proud of it.
The future's bright, it's cherry & white.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I miss the Cooling Towers. They were part of our landscape! :angry:
doc

Post by doc »

Agree about the towers. Always felt I was back home when I could see them out of the train window coming back from Uni.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sadly after visiting yesterday, Warrington is better for town centre shopping and has the Gemini Centre but after being advertised on TV and described as award winning I have to say their one off farmers market was not actually IMO a farmers market but irrespective was rubbish and I have seen umpteen better farmers markets across the North West / Cheshire.
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

That Golden Square is excellent and is far better than The Grand Arcade and they have a lovely bus station too but other than that Warrington seems a bit souless.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Lancaster has a fantastic farmers market, everything from Bowland dairy products, beef, chicken, potatoes the lot, all within a 10 mile radius... 20 stalls all through the city centre was amazing.

Makes our outside 'market' look rubbish (to which it is)...

Our outside market needs overhauling, move them inside which will fill up the indoor part, and put local farmers/producers outside. Sick of east-european and african immigrants selling balloons with sand in them.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:
Sick of east-european and african immigrants selling balloons with sand in them.
That's a bit unfair A&L. This is Wigan after all. Not everyone can afford Harley Street prices for a boob job!! :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

It's appalling, an african man who can't speak english standing outside Menzies selling crap such as lime and black coloured bobble hats and blow up chickens... it is ruinous. And that giant bouncy castle/slide where the Goths congregate out the Moon is crap, and the wet sand-pit covered in toddler piss is crap outside O2 shop, and the outdoor market, the empty half of the Galleries... that big shop that used to be BHS is crap, Smiths changed for the worse, that is crap the only good thing I go for is the History shop
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

OMG. What a masterful vignette you paint!