BBC4 RL Night

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
doc

Re: BBC4 RL Night

Post by doc »

BBC4 Northern season starts this Sunday (5th). Highlights then are an old Fred Dibnah programme and This Sporting Life.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Game That Got Away - Looking forward to this as I have never seen it. They should have shown Another Bloody Sunday too.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:The Game That Got Away - Looking forward to this as I have never seen it. They should have shown Another Bloody Sunday too.
“And as for YOU. Forget St Helens, forget Salford. You're with HUYTON now!!!”

IIRC, it was a C4 production so they've probably taped over it!

Is Piggy Fletcher still alive?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

If memory serves, the Leeds half backs in 1978 were Kevin Dick and John Holmes. Kevin Dick was also their goalkicker. So, 'Kevin Dick's kick' was always going to be a challenge for Eddie as he approached the end of his career! :lol:
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

What a great night of TV. I'd forgotten Eddie Waring was a commentator proper - I only really remember him from It's a Knockout in the 70s (only started watching rugby in 1988).

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

weststand-rich wrote:What a great night of TV. I'd forgotten Eddie Waring was a commentator proper - I only really remember him from It's a Knockout in the 70s (only started watching rugby in 1988).
He was arguably the best and most knowledgeable commentator our game has ever had. He should have stuck to Rugby League and left it at that. His quest for more widespread exposure made him a figure of fun and, as the acknowledged representative of our game, took us with him.

Overall though, I think we are better off having had him with us so long and its disappointing that nothing was done to mark his centenary this year!
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Did you see that section of 70s RL game with the dog on the pitch?

Why on earth did they not stop the game, shoo the dog and then resume. Can you imagine such a thing now?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I remember that game well. Thought it was hilarious at the time. But when you look at it in the context of trying to get our game taken seriously, it probably did untold damage!