Penalty tries

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fred_flintstone

Penalty tries

Post by fred_flintstone »

Well I haven't a clue when a penalty try is to be awarded. I'd have a thought a ball steal that prevents grounding the ball would be a sure penalty try?
wiganwarriordave

Re: Penalty tries

Post by wiganwarriordave »

This confused me as well. I can only assume it was deemed to have been stripped before crossing the line, and so penalty attack and not penalty try... Honestly though, that was a farce to try and keep the game in some kind of contention IMHO. If you can't award a penalty try for that, what can you award it for?
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

i think it was up till a few seasons ago, iirc it was a game at bradford wher a player was about to score and had the ball ripped out over the line, it was gives as a PEN try but shortly after the RFL mage a ruling that this does not warrent a pen try for all future incidents.

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

The NRL changed the strip rule this season,so that it was OK to strip the ball from a player in the act of scoring :sly:
Glad that madness has not found it's way North.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Wee Tam's effort on Saturday was a stonewall penalty try IMO.
2002 and EW is hooked
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Penalties tries can still be awarded there was on one in a Championship Match a few weeks ago when a defending players tackled a player chasing the kick without the ball, since the player missed the ball by a finger tip you had to say if he was not tackle he would have scored so penalty try.

Players are allowed to strip the ball over the line or in the act of scoring a try, the RFL say it is the ball carries responsibility to control the ball and ground it.

I thought the rule was changed after Pat Richards try against Wakefield was disallowed even though the ball was striped from his hands and then grounded, the video referee said he had lost control of the ball so to cover their backs the RFL changed the rule the following season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The RFL did change the rule but it seems mad to me.

Penalty tries are supposed to be awarded if you are fouled in the act of scoring a try such that without the foul you would have definitely scored.

I can't think of a more clear cut example of a foul preventing a score than the ball being stripped as you go to ground it.

It is also basically encouraging players to commit a professional foul with the certainty they will a) save the try and b) only get a penalty against them.

Dave
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

DaveO wrote:The RFL did change the rule but it seems mad to me.

Penalty tries are supposed to be awarded if you are fouled in the act of scoring a try such that without the foul you would have definitely scored.

I can't think of a more clear cut example of a foul preventing a score than the ball being stripped as you go to ground it.

It is also basically encouraging players to commit a professional foul with the certainty they will a) save the try and b) only get a penalty against them.

Dave
I totally agree.

Also there is a big difference between trying to prevent the ball being grounded and a deliberate strip. For example when Briscoe punched the ball out of Gouldings hand when he was goung to score a couple of weeks ago he made absolutely no attempt to legally stop the ball being grounded when Goulding was definately going to score. Just a penalty in those circumstances cannot be right.
fred_flintstone

Dave
Precisely what I was thinking. Surely the more we see teams getting away with this the more it's going to happen - who wouldn't give away penalty to stop a certain try?
fred_flintstone

Dobby wrote:

Dave

I totally agree.

Also there is a big difference between trying to prevent the ball being grounded and a deliberate strip. For example when Briscoe punched the ball out of Gouldings hand when he was goung to score a couple of weeks ago he made absolutely no attempt to legally stop the ball being grounded when Goulding was definately going to score. Just a penalty in those circumstances cannot be right.
Good example, forgot about that.