Phelps

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Phelps

Post by doc »

Shame Cam's going as I thought he played well at FB until he got injured. As said elsewhere, I'd sooner have seen Pryce go. Maybe he had to go to make room on the cap for Deacs to play on for another season?
Red Hot Mama

Post by Red Hot Mama »

I really like Cam but would be virtually impossible to keep him. With the new U20s teams only able to play 3 overage players, if he could't get into the squad he would be getting paid for nothing and don't think putting him out on loan would help. It will be better for him to go and get first team games on a weekly basis. The way our squad is looking at the moment he would struggle to get a place. Good luck Cameron and thanks
Brian's Girl

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:Phelps is the wrong nationality, too old and simply not good enough. Quite brittle too. The glory of Wigan is scattered by far far better players than Phelps who were left behind / on the wayside as the club moved onwards and upwards.
so i take it you where never a fan :lol:
jobo

Post by jobo »

Journeyman player. Never understood why he was brought here in the first place, especially as he was never any better than players already in the squad.

As for Price, we'll just have to wait and see. Still think, despite all evidence to the contrary that he's worth another shot.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Phelps suited Noble's coaching noble really was only ever interested in forwards and if you were a back you were neglected unless you were austrailian.

Phelps could play a number of positions to high championship or low superleague standard. I think he's got to make a choice be a bit part player in a SL club like Wakey of a team of that ilk or move down to championship he's go well there i think
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Phelps Wigan career reminds me of Ian Graham's. Remember him?

Came over for a season and plugged a gap in the side. Phepls has done the same kind of thing but now everything is far more ship shape he just isn't good enough to warrant a place in the squad especially with all the youngsters coming through.

His outright enthusiasm and work rate tends to endear him to fans because when in the the past some players looked less than bothered he was busting a gut. Now to get in the side every player has to bust a gut or they don't play.

So in my opinion that enthusiasm that was once something that would get him selected over other players just isn't enough any more. It is not something that makes him stand out as it once did and so it is now down to the more mundane but crucial question of how good a player is he really?

The answer to that is pretty average to the degree he is almost a danger to himself as he throws himself into impossible situations to try and make up for aspects of his game that are not very good.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

NICK Graham :exc:

Herein lies the problem. David is largely correct re circumstances but Graham was an established first grader AND he played like a dozen games and then went. Phelps was a reserve grader that hung around and was simply not good enough long term. Physically his body IMO is not strong enough for SL or NRL RL.

Far too many fans base opinion on nice guy, lovely guy etc. Madge has to be hard headed and honest.
Welski

Post by Welski »

cpwigan wrote:NICK Graham :exc:

Physically his body IMO is not strong enough for SL or NRL RL.
I agree, opponents seem to target him, he always seemed to be the guy with smelling salts up his nose.
Which is a shame as I thought his versatility was very useful when Wigan were going through the mill with long term injuries to other players.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:NICK Graham :exc:
I knew that....

He was certainly more of a first grade player than Phelps but the pair of them were recruited to fill a gap in the side. As you say Phelps managed to stick around longer than perhaps his skill warranted and I agree about his physique not being up to it.

What confuses me about his situation and that of Pryce is I thought the clubs were supposed to release a list of players they were not going to retain long before now so the players could try and get fixed up with another club yet it appears Phelps only just found out he is not wanted.

Both Phelps and Pryce's situation has seemingly been in the balance for months.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My understanding was/is that Pryce and Phelps were both on that list.