Does Steve McNamara have to go, and who should replace him?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
centralparkforever

Re: Does Steve McNamara have to go, and who should replace him?

Post by centralparkforever »

KOOCH wrote:Sadly I do not see any positives at the moment with Mac the plank or with the rfl as a whole.Unfortunately they are like sailors adrift on the high seas without a rudder.In god's name who from the British contingent can they appoint as head coach? We are not devoid of coaches who could step upto the plate but I for one find it a struggle to name one!The players seem to be lacking in confidence under his guidance or lack of said guidance.I genuinely am at a loss to see anyone capable other than our own Shaun Wayne.And England can go and stuff themselves if they want him.Sadly I honestly think we have no option left open to us other than to look toward Aussie. Or if one can dream the impossible dream.Shuan Edwards. :(
Like i have written earlier there is only Shaun Wane that i can see could possibly turn us around. He has genuine respect throughout our game and with what he has learnt from Madge could certainly do a better job than McNamara.
A part time role would suit both him and England.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

centralparkfore​ver​ wrote: there is only Shaun Wane that i can see could possibly turn us around. He has genuine respect throughout our game and with what he has learnt from Madge could certainly do a better job than McNamara.
A part time role would suit both him and England.
But would it suit Wigan? If not, I say No Way!

What favours do we owe the RFL?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Malcolm Reilly in a pair of slippers could do a better job than Mcnmara. Persobnally I would say Ellery with somebody like Betts as his assistant.
centralparkforever

Post by centralparkforever »

Kittwazzer wrote:
But would it suit Wigan? If not, I say No Way!

What favours do we owe the RFL?
I know what you are saying but we have enough cover for Shaun in case of the mid season game against France. Would be good to see Kris Radlinski have more involvement anyway.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Steve McNamara is doing the best he can with the players he's got available. It obviously isn't good enough but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. John Monie was coach of France and even with his expertise and experience, France never came anywhere near Englands standard, let alone Aussie and NZ.

My point is that even should McNamara go, I don't think anyone could bring us rapidly up to the Anzac standard.

What I do believe is that we should implement an IL type plan, that acknowledges we aren't going to win much short term but go for a win in say 5 years time. All resource should be put into this goal. If in the meantime, we drop lucky and get someone in to manage the side who has a profound effect from the beginning, then all well and good.

Personally, I think Shaun Wane is doing a great job as assistant to MM and to a certain degree, is still learning.
Therefore he should stay for the present, as he is.

The man I'd like to see in charge is Ellery Hanley. He has the personality to browbeat any old fartism that exists and the strength of character to see the job through.

He also no mean coach, after all, he was the at the helm when Saints resurgence began and was instrumental in keeping at Saints several top players (much to his shame).

warrior1973

Post by warrior1973 »

One thing that can't be questioned is the commitment and desire of the England team. Man for for they tried their hardest but failed again, surely the fault must come down to the coaching. For years at Wigan we had a team of triers, then after 2 and a half months in charge during a slim offseason, Madge turned those triers into world beaters!. He identified that the effort was there but the guidance wasnt. Through his knowledge of the modern game and what he learned at the Storm, he trusted his ability to instale a winning attitude. He proved that the ability of a team isnt just about how good the players are, but also the ability of the coach. McGuire is a SUPER coach, in the same mold as Mourinho and Ferguson are in football, but unfortunatly McNamara isnt even a Super League coach let alone SUPER coach. He seems to be stuck in the old Bradford tactic of 5 drives and a kick and even though his efforts may be there, his knowledge of the modern game isnt.