positional needs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
dp 13

positional needs

Post by dp 13 »

most rugby league fans that i speak to, all seem to believe that the most important position that wigan need to fill is stand off, yet our coach and chairman never seem to think that it is a problem, i hope we are not waiting to put farrel there when he is fit.
what do you think.
Deltic3

Re: positional needs

Post by Deltic3 »

Faz is not the stand off answer. We have Kevin Brown for this position but he still needs a year to develop, if O'Neill had not been a trouble maker we would have been ok, but now we need someone to plug the gap. What about Danny Orr or possibly Lee Briers ( if he keeps his gob shut!!). I don't think Fitler will come so we may have to scout about abit.
jackman88

Re: Re: positional needs

Post by jackman88 »

I don't see why everyone thinks that we need a new stand off, we've got a perfectly good one in o'loughlin. He may be a little inexperienced but he will develop.
Lancaster Rugby

Re: Re: Re: positional needs

Post by Lancaster Rugby »

I agree with jackman 88, given a bit of support, O'Loughlin will be a top class 6.
The only way is up....!
sedbergh

Re: positional needs

Post by sedbergh »

I agree that it's an important position yet I can't think of any stand offs this season who have taken advantage of us in that position. Sean O'Loughlin has been outstanding in that position, especially defensively. He kept Paul Sculthorpe quiet in that great game over Easter.
wigan_babe_13

Re: Re: positional needs

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

I agree that we need a more than `average` stand-off! We have been very lacking in that position since the departure of Henry Paul and we have never replaced him with someone even half as talented! I don't think O'Loughlin is the answer, he has got the chance now to make that spot his own, but he isn't doing anything that is more than just `average`. We need a stand-off that can pull something super out the bag just when we need it and Sean isn't the type of player that can do that!

The most worrying thing about Wigan this season is the fact that we are relying too much on power and Terry Newton to score our tries, we aren't creating chances from half-back (apart from the odd dummy and go from Lam) and the forwards are scoring more tries than ever before!

Kevin Brown looks a very promising player and if he is given game time coming off the bench this season then in a couple of years he could be the long-term answer but at the minute we need a good player who can keep the team challenging until Brown is physically and mentally ready to take over!
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

I definatley dont think o'olghlain is the answer especially when you consider we are going to have an inexperienced scrum half in Robinson or so it looks. We do need a world class stand off half. A successfull R.L. team is built around a loose forward, 7 & 6. We cant afford to be lacking in any of these positions.
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

I definatley dont think o'olghlain is the answer especially when you consider we are going to have an inexperienced scrum half in Robinson or so it looks. We do need a world class stand off half. A successfull R.L. team is built around a loose forward, 7 & 6. We cant afford to be lacking in any of these positions.