Do referees need to be full time?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Do referees need to be full time?

Post by cpwigan »

IMO SL Referees should have the choice whereas IIRC it was compulsory to be full time. With the best will in the world 2 of the 3 officials mentioned in the article below will never go fulltime. Nor will our very own Robster. Why exclude people for being too successful in real life.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=20604
Kittwazzer

Re: Do referees need to be full time?

Post by Kittwazzer »

The reverse of that argument is also true in that a substandard referee can get to the top if he is able to go 'full time'!

I think there is definitely room for both full and part time refs if they are up to the mark. Not as though we have an excess of talent is it!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Haven't noticed any improvement since they went full-time, so yeah, I'd say let part-time ones in.

Always been impressed with Hicks when I've seen him in the TV Championship games.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

GeoffN wrote:Haven't noticed any improvement since they went full-time, so yeah, I'd say let part-time ones in.

Always been impressed with Hicks when I've seen him in the TV Championship games.
Do you not think he looks like Stuart Cummings?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

Full timers are able to dedicate a lot more time to their officiating than part timers who have other jobs, getting home from work then rushing out for a Friday night game must be quite difficult, particularly for mental preparation. I'm sure a large panel of full timers would be the ideal though it wouldn't be an overnight thing with financial constraints.
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

josie andrews wrote:
GeoffN wrote:Haven't noticed any improvement since they went full-time, so yeah, I'd say let part-time ones in.

Rob Hicks...
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

josie andrews wrote:

He does, a bit, but it's not his fault, poor lad.