Re: 1965 Geoff

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doug Stand posted:
Geoff,
I was wondering this but was always too polite to ask. I noticed on another thread that you saw the 65 final against Hunslet. This was reported to have been the best ever until the 85 final came along...
My father is always raving about it... Trevor Lake's try and didn't they share the lance todd that year Ashby and someone????

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the match. Better than 85???

Always interested to know about those matches.

TIA,

Doug Stand
I was only 10 years old, so i'm not sure that my memories are all that reliable (still aren't now in fact...). To be honest, I remember more about the fantastic atmosphere than the game itself (which kind of passed by in a blur). My dad, like yours, always reckoned it was the best final he ever saw.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

You youngsters! You just dont know what you missed. Hunslet kicked the ball straight into touch at the kick off, penalty Wigan and Laurie Gilfedder kicks 2 points from the centre spot after 30 secs and we never looked back.
No, it wasn't quite as good as the 1985 final, every 20 years how about 2005? as Wigan thrash Leeds, it did not have Kenny or Hendersons great grin but it was still a great match, as I said to GeoffN though the year after was a nightmare.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ian.birchall posted:
You youngsters! You just dont know what you missed. Hunslet kicked the ball straight into touch at the kick off, penalty Wigan and Laurie Gilfedder kicks 2 points from the centre spot after 30 secs and we never looked back.
I remember that now - I'd forgotten it was that game!