New Wigan Book

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Silken Skills

New Wigan Book

Post by Silken Skills »

Out today: The Wigan Warriors Miscellany by Ewan Phillips

Part reference book, part fan's eye view The Wigan Warriors Miscellanyis a fascinating compendium of facts, quirks and nostalgia from Rugby League's greatest club with a foreword by Wigan god Kris Radlinski MBE.

As slender and entertaining as Sam Tomkins, it's packed tighter than Billy McGinty's pineapple ring and probably better value for money than David Vaealiki.

Written by a lifelong Wigan fan, the book attempts to cram over a century of the Super League Champions' glorious history into one handy volume. Looking back at the great games, star players and gruesome injuries from every Cherry and White era, it is the ideal stocking filler for any Wigan follower: if you've ever wondered which Wigan players appeared in the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, beat David Boon's mile- high beer consumption record for a flight from Australia to England or won a holiday on Every Second Countsthen this is the book for you.

The Wigan Warriors Miscellany by Ewan Phillips available now in stores and online
gpartin

Re: New Wigan Book

Post by gpartin »

Just ordered this from Amazon. £7.49 with 3-5 day free delivery (RRP £9.99 I believe). Can't go wrong at that price even if its crap.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Book finally arrived today, obviously not had chance to read it yet but had a look through and for the money its worth a read for anyone who's interested in random facts and a bit of nostalgia.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mine came on Saturday :) I, too, haven't started to read it yet, just the foreward, but agree with Gaz looks a very good read :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I know the author of this book a bit so bought a copy out of curiosity, fair play to him I enjoyed it. Ideal stocking filler
doc

Post by doc »

I got my copy last week.

I thought the comparison of the 1923(?) squad with the current squad was interesting. In 1923 only one forward weighed in at over 14 stone! Amazing when you consider most of todays centres and some wingers are bigger.

The number of Welsh players in the 1920s was surprising.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

according to Sky Sports Sam is 14 stone. :doz: