Contract worries for Wigan's Aussies

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Contract worries for Wigan's Aussies

Post by Kittwazzer »

That is not good news. It will impact on all Aussie players in the UK!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Yes it does beg the question.Will we see any quality Aussie players gracing our field again.Example the likes of Trent Barrett.Or are we going to end up with journey men who have no other options left open to them.Mind you I'm sure it will not affect any of the Aussie contingent wearing the Wolves colours will it.They seem to have managed to find a way round the salary cap without many problems.So I cannot see this causing any major problems.The CHEATING GOB SHITES.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Im sure our favourite Dog Botherer will have no worries, as he plays for Warrington.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

ancientnloyal wrote:Im sure our favourite Dog Botherer will have no worries, as he plays for Warrington.
:lol1: :lol1: :shau:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Having given this matter some thought, I reckon that having signed contracts with Wigan, the players are bound by the terms and will honour them. The fact that Australian Tax Legislation has been changed, whilst unfortunate, does not affect the validity of those contracts.

That said, it will definitely have an impact on future Aussie signings!
doc

Post by doc »

I can't see how any Superleague club can renegotiate the contracts if they are already up to the salary cap limit. At the end of the day the players have signed the contracts and should honour them. I would not be able to renegotiate my contract if the basic rate of tax was increased.

Maybe the players should get agents who are more on the ball in terms of keeping tabs on potential changes to tax laws.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Having given this matter some thought, I reckon that having signed contracts with Wigan, the players are bound by the terms and will honour them.
Plenty don't. It's easy enough to cite personal reasons for cutting a contract short or having second thoughts about coming over.

I mean what are Wigan or any other club going to do if the players simply don't turn up?
That said, it will definitely have an impact on future Aussie signings!
While I for one will be sad if we don't see the odd classy Australian or Kiwi playing here in future Wigan are probably the best placed of any club to deal with a lack of quality imports given the young player production line we have.

Dave
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Typical Daily Telegraph.

A newspaper which will do anything to try and kill off our game.

Why no mention of how it will effect Aussie Rugby Union Players?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Why do articles on this single out Brett Finch as the one who's contract is tenuous? Surely all 3 of them are in the same situation?