George joins Sam at Souths

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George joins Sam at Souths

Post by josie andrews »

George Burgess will join his brother Sam in Australia with South Sydney next year, after signing a two-year deal.

Burgess, 18, joins the Rabbitohs from Bradford after gaining a release from his contract, which was due to run until 2012.

Although Burgess has been billed as one of the game’s brightest young stars, he is not expected to feature in the Rabbitohs’ NRL squad immediately.

Instead he will link up with the club’s Under 20 squad who compete in the Toyota Cup National Youth Competition (NYC).
But the youngster admitted he is excited at the prospect at moving to Australia.

"I can’t wait to make the move and get started at the Rabbitohs," Burgess said.

"Sam has been raving about the Rabbitohs and living in Sydney all year, so I’m looking forward to coming out and training and playing in Australia.

"I’m grateful to Bradford for the opportunities they’ve given me over the past few years, and also the release to come to Australia and play with the Rabbitohs.

"I’m very excited about pulling on the red and green jersey and getting started on my career at Souths."

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said he was pleased that the club have been able to reunite the two brothers.

"The Burgess brothers are all talented footballers and we’re delighted to have two of the boys playing for the Rabbitohs over the next two years," Mr Richardson said.

"George is a great prospect and a real project for our Club. We’ll work with him over the next two years and during that time we’re aiming to develop him into an NRL footballer in the red and green."

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_472 ... ouths.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TC67036

Re: George joins Sam at Souths

Post by TC67036 »

Watched the 2nd aussie game and thought they had the measure of him and he was totally ineffectual. He is big and can run in a straight line, thats about it. Defensively if any player with any pace or foot skills runs at him he is knackered. Greg Burke on the other hand was in my opinion how a modern prop should be, he has pace, a bit of footwork, makes a lot of yards and can defend, in fact when Greg was off the pitch and Burgess was on the team looked far weaker in the middle. If the Aussies think Burgess is good, Wigan need to be worried as there are a good few in the 18's and 20's who are far better prospects than Burgess is or ever will be.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

To be fair I watched both tests and Burgess was the key player in terms of winning the 1st test. Indeed, I would argue he more than held his own and did better than the Aussie front row who clearly made it their mission to minimise his impact after he ran amok in the previous test. Yes, he will get tired and yes he will be tested re agility but remember we are talking a 6ft5 18 stone? player. You are not comparing like with like.

Burgess will do very well as will will Greg Burke.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Very smart move indeed, his obvious weaknesses and fitness will be worked on and shows the bulls philosophy and obvious intent to buy ready made players !
I have little doubt that the Bulls will have some sort of first choice option on him should he return to these shores
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

butt monkey wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Very smart move indeed, his obvious weaknesses and fitness will be worked on and shows the bulls philosophy and obvious intent to buy ready made players !
I have little doubt that the Bulls will have some sort of first choice option on him should he return to these shores
Like Leeds had when Iestyn Harris came back from RU?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
Like Leeds had when Iestyn Harris came back from RU?
After Bradford's experience, I doubt any club would try to make a move on him!