9's The Future of RL ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
No straw damn us

Re: 9's The Future of RL ?

Post by No straw damn us »

A team surrenders possession if the dummy-half is tackled.

A rule that I've advocated for many years. Get rid of the scooter hooker and bring more Martin Dermotts back into the game.
doc

Post by doc »

According to League Express the RFL are due to announce a mid-season 9s tournament to take place on Tuesday nights in June with final at Headingly on July 5th. The RFL see it as RLs version of 20-20 cricket.

Totally crack-pot idea IMAO so I would guess it comes from that idiot from Halifax, Nigel Wood.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I remember the British Coal 9's being played at Central Park. IIRC it was even televised. I like the 9's idea. It is just an added attraction.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why does the final always have to be in Leeds? Is that the only ground they can play a nines competition???

I'm glad that they have decided to cancel all under 20 & 18 games for the duration of the competition. Was well annoyed that I couldn't go to the last lot due to clashes with fixture games at home.

Hope they also make the decision NOT to play the u20's GF on the same day as the SL GF. Bad planning last season or was it all down to Sts not wanting a load of Wigan supporters cheering on our lads to another win over them???
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

It maybe that Carnegie are sponsoring the nines comp again, hence it being played at Leeds.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote:It maybe that Carnegie are sponsoring the nines comp again, hence it being played at Leeds.
Fair enough :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fan 4 a year

Post by Fan 4 a year »

Trouble with small sided games it will be all running rugby the ball will be unloaded before tackles are made given the extra space players will have, therefore no big hits etc you will end up with a game similar to touch/netball/basketball! Rugby league is about tackling as well as ball skills and free running. Admit it how many times do you when nought else is on Sky Sports put on sevens in the other code thinking I will give this a watch only to get bored within a couple of minutes, to much space, miss a tackle guy canters the lenght of the pitch and scores repeat,repeat, repeat zzzzz boring League is a game of 13 end of :wink: