Betts to be replaced this week ??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Betts to be replaced t...

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
Fraggle posted:
warriors posted:
The problem is with Betts. He hasn't had that much experiance, thrown in the deep end. The elder players might think that, why are we being told what to do by a person that was on the same team.
There aren't that many senior players left who played in the same team as Betts, are there? Rads, of course, and Newton but most of the rest are from the new generation. IIRC he retired at the end of the 2002 season and back then even Lockers was only getting the occasional game, he'd be seen as one of the senior players now.
They might be the only two left but he has given the captaincy to one and then the other and it hasn't worked in either case IMO.
Agreed. There seems to be this assumption that a good player will automatically be a good captain, and that's patently not the case. We've been spoiled in recent times, not only was Farrell a good captain but he was a great player, able to turn a game on his own whilst also motivating the rest of the team. But often a good captain may not be the best player in the team, as leadership is a different skill from the normal playing skills.

You're probably right that giving the captain's armband to a player he knows well from playing together might be another sign of Betts' naivity in running the team. It's the easy solution, rather than looking at the big picture. Rads always said the captaincy was not something he sought but would be proud to do the job if needed, so probably isn't going to upset by someone else taking charge, whilst Newton's going to know he's only the deputy boss now. On the pitch he's got some responsibility for directing the play from dummy-half anyway, but has he got the mental capacity to do that and also to direct the whole team as captain? (And that's not a criticism of him, I struggle to think of one thing at a time without having to do that as well as looking at the big picture).
If a new coach came in I would hope he would re-assess the whole set up from the ground up, start with a clean sheet and appoint a new captain. This would be a lot easier to do if at the same time as the new coach arrived an established player and club captain were added to the squad such as this Fletcher chap we have been linked with.

We are not only leaderless off the pitch!
Is this going to be possible mid-season, or are we looking at someone to make the best of what's left this year before a major revamp at the end of the season for a big push next year? I worry that people will be looking for a quick-fix solution to change things immediately but we've done that every year for the last several and we're no nearer a long-term consistent solution. I think I'd prefer someone to come in and have the time to do a big overhaul, even if that means we've got to wait until next year to see the real benefits of those changes.
If we don't get a new player I'd give to Orr or Moran anyway in an attempt to get them to dictate the play more. If either of them were in charge I reckon they would play better than they are doing as they would be able to play more of their own type of game.
As soon as Faz left I thought Moran might be a good candidate for the captaincy, he did the job at London and showed there he's sometimes a bit more of an "individual" type of player like Faz. From his poor performances this year I guess we're not really playing in a manner that suits him so letting him dictate the game a bit more should work to his advantage. It'd be even better if we could get both Moran and Orr to work together and gell, but at the moment neither is really doing a good job so sorting out even one of them has to be an improvement.

Perhaps if Newton's going to be out injured for a game or two it might be the opportunity to give Moran a chance?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
x Wigan Warrior x posted:

What gives you the impression that he has lost the changing room? Have you asked the players? There could be lots of other influences on our team! The big one being DW total lack of interest in the club !
Must have seen him wandering around at half time asking people if they'd seen it

WNAC is either Derren Brown or Mystic Meg. Sad how he never mentioned Betts loosing the squad when we were beating the Saints and Hull.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
You're probably right that giving the captain's armband to a player he knows well from playing together might be another sign of Betts' naivity in running the team. It's the easy solution, rather than looking at the big picture.
When he gave it to Rads it was before the Farrell leaving us issue blew up. So I reckon Betts expected to be handing the captaincy back to Faz about now. That being the case I reckon with it being Rads testimonial year Betts thought it was a good thing to do and pretty low risk as he wasn't giving it too him on a permanent basis.

If I am right then Betts has will have learned something as part of his apprenticship - don't give the captaincy out as some sort of favour or reward but to the person best qualified.

If a new coach came in I would hope he would re-assess the whole set up from the ground up, start with a clean sheet and appoint a new captain. This would be a lot easier to do if at the same time as the new coach arrived an established player and club captain were added to the squad such as this Fletcher chap we have been linked with.

We are not only leaderless off the pitch!
Is this going to be possible mid-season, or are we looking at someone to make the best of what's left this year before a major revamp at the end of the season for a big push next year?
Wishful thinking on my part. Isn't Fletcher a well respected captain in the NRL? Bringing someone like that in now would make it easier to take the captaincy away from Rads despite the fact I agree he wouldn't be that upset anyway.

I can't see us being able to do it.
I worry that people will be looking for a quick-fix solution to change things immediately but we've done that every year for the last several and we're no nearer a long-term consistent solution. I think I'd prefer someone to come in and have the time to do a big overhaul, even if that means we've got to wait until next year to see the real benefits of those changes.
Fletcher is supposed to be a target for next year but if he could arrive this year (which I doubt) it would be good for the club as he could get to know his team mates in this year that has already been written off. Half a season to get used to the idea.
If we don't get a new player I'd give to Orr or Moran anyway in an attempt to get them to dictate the play more. If either of them were in charge I reckon they would play better than they are doing as they would be able to play more of their own type of game.
As soon as Faz left I thought Moran might be a good candidate for the captaincy, he did the job at London and showed there he's sometimes a bit more of an "individual" type of player like Faz. From his poor performances this year I guess we're not really playing in a manner that suits him so letting him dictate the game a bit more should work to his advantage. It'd be even better if we could get both Moran and Orr to work together and gell, but at the moment neither is really doing a good job so sorting out even one of them has to be an improvement.
It would and the captaincy might well spark Moran onto better things. I can't see him getting it with Betts in charge. I don't think Betts would do something so radical.

His team selections have been very conservative and if he perceives Moran is not flavour of the month with the fans I'd bet he would not appoint for that reason alone. I think he is already looking over his shoulder and so he would not risk the wrath of the fans in case it just added to the pressure on him to leave. I hate to say it but Millward would make that sort of decision regardless.
Perhaps if Newton's going to be out injured for a game or two it might be the opportunity to give Moran a chance?
Isn't Rads due back about now?

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Long-term, I expect Lockers to get the captaincy.
Short-term, Rads was doing OK - not great, but OK. I'm not expecting any major signings for this season, unless someone (like Fletcher, perhaps) does become available sooner than expected, so I think it's down to a choice from the squad we have.
Not sure how a captain can be assessed reliably, other than trying him out in a game, and I think we've had enough "experiments" forced on us by injuries to try any more.
Moran seems to be next in line, after Rads and Newton, and that change may be forced on us if they're both out for Friday.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Long term i expected o'loughlin to get the captaincy but i think tickle is doing his best to get his name up there challenging lockers. Although with newton being made vice captain, i'm seeing perhaps him and lockers making up the captain/vice captain partnership in the future? We've certainly missed rads on the field and to be honest i'm not sure in which capacity most, his playing or dictating, you dont see him shout much on the field but we've certainly been missing something whilst he's been gone. Hope he's back on friday
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

from what i,ve seen of the younger generation i think lockers or tickle could be the next long term captain. maybe tickle could have a few games as captain towards the end of the season to give him some experience as leader.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

waterside glens posted:
from what i,ve seen of the younger generation i think lockers or tickle could be the next long term captain. maybe tickle could have a few games as captain towards the end of the season to give him some experience as leader.
:wink:
If Millward is appointed soon, who knows, it could be Paul Sculthorpe !!!

:wink: :wink:
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Why don't we move into Knowsley Road too and change our name to St Helens?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

MrsLam posted:
Why don't we move into Knowsley Road too and change our name to St Helens?
Nah theres only one st helens (thank god) but it would solve our stadium troubles :lol:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i thought about that too. have you noticed scullys body language in the last few games since his return from injury he looks to lack motivation