Sam Tomkins Interview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Sam Tomkins Interview

Post by AdamMac »

Brilliant! especially the last couple of lines!!!

SAM TOMKINS has discovered a taste for trophies - and now he wants the lot.

If you think Wigan will rest on their laurels after ending a 12-year title drought with one of the most dominant Grand Final performances ever, you have another thing coming.

Tomkins and the rest of the Warriors are like blood-thirsty animals after their first kill.

They want more.

Last year's squad was good enough. But coach Michael Maguire has now added three stars from Melbourne Storm - Brett Finch, Jeff Lima and Ryan Hoffman.

And that has convinced full-back Tomkins - who signed on until 2015 last week - they can walk away with the Super League, League Leaders' Shield, Challenge Cup and World Club Challenge.

He said: "I've signed for five more years and I want to win everything.

"Winning the lot is 100 per cent achievable. We've only got stronger from the squad that won the Grand Final last year.

"A couple have gone but the three who have come in are looking for success.

"There's no reason why we cannot sweep the board. That's our goal. We did well winning the Grand Final but we are not ready to rest."

It is probably fair to say some of the Warriors' celebrations are a little hazy in Tomkins' mind. They lasted THREE DAYS.

But he does not have to look too far for a reminder of the October day they saw off St Helens 22-10 at Old Trafford.

The words 'Wigan Warriors - Super League Champions 2010' are tattooed on his right underarm.

Tomkins, 21, said: "The first couple of days were memorable, but less so after that.

"It was the biggest honour for the vast majority of our team. That's what made it more special, as we had so many in the side who had never done anything like that.

"People like Sean O'Loughlin, who had been at the club for eight or nine years, being one of the most consistent players in the league. He had never won a trophy before.

"Then there were young Wigan lads, like myself and Liam Farrell, who had grown up watching the club be successful. For us to get our own bit of history was special.

"We had the tattoos done when we reported back for pre-season.

Advertisement

"They only took 10 or 15 minutes but I'm not too sure whether I'm going to get one for every trophy I win. If I do that, it could end up all over my arm and back!"

Now Tomkins is preparing for tomorrow night's rematch against Saints as the new season gets underway with the Millennium Magic weekend in Cardiff.

After the high of winning the league, Tomkins experienced the frustration of England's unsuccessful Four Nations tour.

He admitted: "We undersold ourselves. But it makes me more hungry. I don't like the feeling of losing - it's not nice and I want to get back winning."

To do that, though, Tomkins and Wigan face increased competition.

St Helens and Warrington will go close, count Leeds out at your peril - and you can add Huddersfield and, on their day, Hull KR to the mix.

To get ready for the big kick-off, Maguire took his troops to a gruelling Marine training camp in Arbroath.

They had hardly any sleep for 72 hours and carried logs for miles in sub-zero Scottish temperatures.

Tomkins said: "It's not been nice at all. There were a lot of grim times but it makes us all mentally tougher."

Tomkins is passionate about the place he calls home, even though he was born in Milton Keynes and lived in Chorley until he was 10.

Wigan footballer Mohamed Diame described the home of mint balls and pies as 'cr**py'.

But Tomkins boomed: "I don't want to know what he thinks. I don't even know his name. He only plays for Latics."
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sam Tomkins Interview

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

hahaha well in tomkins!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure