Stupid penalties cost us that game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Stupid penalties cost us that game

Post by Kittwazzer »

Can't believe what happened in the second half when Stains were playing at a fraction of the pace they showed in the first 40!
THE 18th Man

Re: Stupid penalties cost us that game

Post by THE 18th Man »

in fairness to Lima he has had better games but this was his and Hoffmans first game in SL. its the fact we didnt learn from last years losses (Bradford, Quins) and let saints back in it that annoyed me. the ref made some strange calls though
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I reckon at least one player will be dropped for the Bradford game!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I thought Wigan looked off the pace in the last 15 minutes, where as St Helens looked full of energy. Hopefully it was just a blip.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wait till you see the possession stats. I would guess the match = 60% Saints possession and 2nd half 80%.

You are all being ridiculously hard on Wigan. The lads deserved to be shattered they had to work like crazy and were totally shafted. I can take you through that game tackle by tackle and show you that for ever penalty awarded against Wigan, saints commited the same ten times and often for longer yet were not penalised.

Lenagan needs to stand up and be counted; hammer the RFL
doc

Post by doc »

It wasn't just pens. The ref seemed to work on the basis that we were constantly attacking the ball in the tackle and wiped the count clean or gave scrum to Saints every time a ball was touched by a would be Wigan tackler, even when the Wigan player put the Saints player on the floor. There was also the blatant knock on by Eastmond when he kicked through where the ref gave the decision as a Hoffman knock on. The pass for their last try was also a good yard forward. Saints were also given a very skinny ten when defending but we were pulled back the full 10 metres.

Saying that Saints had a bad decision against them when the ref said Wellens was tackled in goal as the ball carrying arm was clearly in the field of play. Although the ref tried to let the game flow (bar the last 20 mins penalty cascade to Saints) a lot of the decisions he did make were poor.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Roby stripping the ball = a scrum to Saints whereas if the ball came lose when Wigan tackled a Saints player it = a penalty. The whole game was a sham.

The penalising for time taken to get off a tackler was a classic differential as was markers square. James Graham is never stood square at marker.

I seriously question the legitimacy of what happened in that game today.
Johnnylad

Post by Johnnylad »

Think Joel needs to take a look at himself, not the best of games.Sam get some decent studs in you boots lad.How many times tried to step and slipped. Worrying thing no kickes once Deacon off.
A49

Post by A49 »

1. We missed Ricahrds like hell.

2. We lacked a playmaker after Deacon went off.

3. After appearing to give a harsh decision against Wellens (may have seen the screen) Silverwood seemed hellbent on making it up to Scouse and he did this very successfully, albeit with a bit of help from some of our players.

ashton27

Post by ashton27 »

although our defence was outstanding,i am concerned about
our attack play. booting the bsll up is not good enough,
we need more ball handling.tackling is obviously a vital
component of the game ,but i wish we showed more flair