Wigan will NOT appeal Lima's ban

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exile in Tiger country

Re: Wigan will NOT appeal Lima's ban

Post by exile in Tiger country »

NEVER plead guilty, ALWAYS appeal.
Everyone else seems to follow this standard, why don't we?

Another thought, why not get the Castleford game we were supposed to play the weekend of the WCC arranged to play before then? There is no date for it on the official site.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just to add the quotes I read were nonsense. The game is not transparent and fair. A simply example, Saints were twice guilty of lifting above the horizontal. Not a thing has happened.

BTW; Try this so called chicken wing on a mate. To do any damage you need to do so much work / movement on the joint that is would be blatant. Try doing what Lima did and unless you are ticklish you would not notice anything.

IL/Madge have made life difficult for Lima. He will be a constant target and a referee like Ganson will have a field day.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

One other thought, as he is not the captain, didn't whinging Wilkin commit some sort of offence by approaching the ref?

If things like this are allowed to continue it will give carte blanche to whiny know it alls like Sinfield and Briers.

The officials need to stamp on this now.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Taken from the RFL site

Player accompanied by Michael Maguire, Head Coach, Shaun Warne, Assistant Coach and Sean Joyce, Legal Representative.Player pleads guilty to both offences. This was the players debut in Super League. Player has played for 7yrs in NRL. Since arriving at Wigan has been surprised at the speed and pace of the rucks. In NRL there are two officials. One is known as the Pocket Referee and he is there to solely scrutinise the ruck area. player has been brought up on these circumstances. Player has not had time to adjust and has spent most of his time chasing the game and arriving at the tackle with a limited angle of making his entry into the tackle. This was a derby game and the pace and speed of the game was more intense and the player did have difficulty to cope. He was loose and continually arriving late and taking hold of the opponents arms. In relation to 1st tackle Soliola. This was early in game and the player was attempting to put the opponent on his back. The player got hold of a flayling arm. It was a clumsy tackle on his debut, careless not reckless, no malice or intent involved. In relation to 2nd tackle on player Wilkin this was further into the game but again player had not adjusted to speed of game. As a defensive player wants to slow down the speed of the play the ball. Inadvertently the non ball carrying arm accidentally moves and Wilkin falls to the floor and the player falls onto him. Player removes arm immediately. No intent or malice involved to apply pressure on opponents arm. Neither of the player in either os these incidents were injured as a result of the contacts. Both incidents careless rather than reckless

Debut in Super League-only one previous appearance in 7yrs career in NRL. Coaching staff strenously working on player technique to ensure no re-occurence. Player of good character. Ask for leniency in sanction for offences. Adamant player will not reappear for this type of offence. If he doesaccepted he will be sentenced accordingly. Player aware of this fact

The committee have carefully considered these two matters. The express their thanks for the presentation of the case by the player and his representatives. In deciding appropriate sanction the committee give the player credit for his admissions of guilt. The committee accept these were not intentional but the player in the first instance, did take hold of the opponents arm and tryto turn him over in a reckless and careless manner and pressure was unduly put on the opponents arms in both instances. The committee take into consideration the players good previous record. In respect of the first offence the committee are prepared to go outside the guideline and reduce the grading range. The committee feel a 1 match suspension is appropriate. In respect of the second incident the committee feel this was a more serious offence but taking into account all the surrounding circumstances, the overall picture again it is felt that a 1 match suspension is appropriate. In addition the committee impose a £300 fine.

As per an earlier post,as he has pleaded guilty, there is no call for an appeal (unless they can appeal the actual punishment)
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Cumberland Throw is now presumably outlawed and subject to the same ban.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

So already Cherry the system is falling into age old habits

I agree btw re the spear tackle.

Fans should try this chicken wing nonsense. Unless you manipulate it a huge amount I cannot see how you can possibly hurt a player.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Remember what happened last time a Wigan player tried to appeal if not read the quote below
Wigan hooker Terry Newton last night had a 10-match ban increased to 15 after losing two appeals
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
doc

Post by doc »

Maybe we should start citing opposition players for the constant late hits on our kickers on the last tackle. Sam, Deacs and Tommy get hit late all the time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Just to add the quotes I read were nonsense.
I am guessing you mean this:

"We were disappointed last year at the number of sentences which were overturned upon appeal and were one of the Club's requesting that the RFL change and improve significantly the fairness, balance and transparency of the Disciplinary Process. Our experience in this case where a key Wigan player has been banned from an extremely important game is that the process is much improved and highly professional. Consequently, we accept the decision, albeit with disappointment for the Player and the Club, and look forward to a Season of consistent and fair Disciplinary Panel decisions and general acceptance of decisions taken"

Which I read as, "OK we will accept this punishment but we expect you not to be lenient with other players if a big game is coming up and not to routinely overturn bans."

If when as I expect they return to past form and are lenient and do routinely overturn bans as they have always done then at that point IL has no excuse not to start complaining loudly. I hope he has set his stall out by saying the above so he can do so with justification if things revert to type.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

The whole system is a farce.
The judgement on Aaron Murphy has gone from this:
http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary/item?2321

To this in just 24 hours:
http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary/item?2333

Unbelievable to see that the second judgement was made after viewing the incident from a different angle. Also that Murphy pleaded not guilty to the offence on the first hearing, but guilty on the appeal as he wanted the sentence reduced.

The number of judgements that are being overturned imply that there are serious failings in the whole process.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS