Wigan v Bradford post match thoughts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Wigan v Bradford post match thoughts

Post by AdamMac »

First of all, how bloody cold was it?! anyway, onto the match.

Sam tomkins was awesome and IMO this has a hell of a lot to do with Paul deacon.How many times did Deacon get tackled today? couldn't have been many. To me it's his positional awareness that allows Sam to stand that much deeper and take late accurate passes from Deacsa and give the team an overall deeper and better shape when attacking outstanding.

After last week I thought Prescott and Joel needed to have big games and Prescott certainly dug deep. It was unfortunate for Joel that Gleeson went off not long after he had come on and therefore Joel had to go to centre where TBF he was solid if not spectacular.

All of our forwards had good games today and once again Faz looks like he's going to be the Joel of 08/09. Hoffman is a machine and does very little wrong, runs good hard lines and has a great offload that reminds me of a certain Brian Fletcher. I was also pleased to see Fielden look like he's carrying on from last season.

All in all a ruthless, efficent performance and everything Madge and Wane would of wished for going into the WCC.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan v Bradford post match thoughts

Post by ancientnloyal »

Had to work so couldn't listen on the radio sadly. Sneakily checked the score at 3:40pm and punched the air, made my day... 26-0 at HT? very delighted. Was worried because Saints had a convincing win, Leeds won again and felt like we could lose ground and not match our close rivals, and with Bradford being 'stronger' this year from recruits it really made my day we put on some points.

Can't say much tbh, other than a fantastic crowd of 15,000+, Roberts scoring 2 looks like he's back to his old tricks and Deacon knocking our kicks over.

Can't wait 'til Sunday and then our Salford game which i shall be in attendance.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_panda

Post by Wigan_panda »

It was awfully cold. Towards the end i couldn't clap! Great performance. Must have been at least 3,000 wiganers there.
It's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end.
The Hoff

Post by The Hoff »

I thought Deacon did all the basic stuff perfectly which allowed Leuluai and Sam Tomkins to play their own game, and they were superb!

Our defence was once again brilliant, the only thing that worries me is we look abit shakey under the high ball. Pat's usually the one that sweeps them up but obviously heres not here for a month or so, so I would get Roberts/Sam/Goulding working on those during the week if I was Madge.

We scored some decent trys aswell, was speaking to some Bradford fans on the way out and they were extremely impressed with us.

Apart from the 31-30 comeback, thats the happiest I have ever come away from Odsal.
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

Was freezing my knackers off at Odsal but it was all good because of the result. It may have been due to slippery conditions but we were weak in some areas, however it is a satisfying victory.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

The Hoff wrote:I thought Deacon did all the basic stuff perfectly which allowed Leuluai and Sam Tomkins to play their own game, and they were superb!

Our defence was once again brilliant, the only thing that worries me is we look abit shakey under the high ball. Pat's usually the one that sweeps them up but obviously heres not here for a month or so, so I would get Roberts/Sam/Goulding working on those during the week if I was Madge. We scored some decent trys aswell, was speaking to some Bradford fans on the way out and they were extremely impressed with us.

Apart from the 31-30 comeback, thats the happiest I have ever come away from Odsal.
Agreed, and i said the same in a different thread, Ah Van wouldn't have scored if it was Pat jumping against him.

Overall i thought our defence, especially on our line was fantastic. I've notived in our first two league games that teams seem to be scrambling to try and get round our defence where as we are calm and organised in attack, it really is fantastic to watch.

I'd probably put Sams try up there with Gleesons second at Old Trafford, brilliant, well worked team effort. Liam Farrell is an Andy in the making.
Up The Mont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Liam Farrell is the fittest Wigan forward in the first team squad.
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

Ooooo :D
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

You'll have to excuse me guys. After a 34 point winning margin with Bentham in charge, I'm still in the twilight zone! :angry:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

NathanCroucher wrote:Ooooo :D
:lol: :tong1: Without going into Kenneth Williams mode

I was referring to the physical conditioning testing

Titter ye not Nathan :wink:

(PS I know that was not Williams BTW)