Who Kicks off

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
southernpie

Who Kicks off

Post by southernpie »

Is it my memory going wonky or was there a period in late 80's early 90's where the team that scored took the kick off to restart the match. I seem to remember it was to stop teams such as Wigan rattling up such huge scores against the lesser teams. If so how long did it last?

Cheers
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Re: Who Kicks off

Post by cpwigan »

90's IIRC and it did not last long when the RFL it actually made things worse not better.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Yeah I think it was later than late 80's because I remember the rule being introduced. Think they kept it for a season and reverted back, don't remember why exactly but guess its due to the fact that gaining momentum is an important part of our game. If a team had a poor first half and ended up 20 points behind it would make it virtually impossible for teams to get back into a game. We don't want a situation where a game is over at half time, there's nothing better (or worse) than when you think the match is already over and a team scores a few successive tries and need another to steal the win with only a minute or so on the clock.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Thanks guys, I thought I remembered it, I thought the reasoning was to stop a dominant team, such as Wigan was at the time, from getting on a roll, and making sure the other team got ball in hand.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

southernpie wrote:Thanks guys, I thought I remembered it, I thought the reasoning was to stop a dominant team, such as Wigan was at the time, from getting on a roll, and making sure the other team got ball in hand.
That was the idea SP but what they found was that the team that had just had a try scored against them get put back on their own try line, battered by a buoyant opposition for 5 tackles before handing them the ball back on the half way line. 6 points became 12 and so on.

The best team I have ever seen at returning kick offs was the Gene Miles Wigan team of 91 / 92. John Monie always preached a stead field position 6 from kick offs until Miles came along. With Miles in the team it was Harlem Globetrotter Stuff.
jobo

Post by jobo »

cpwigan wrote:
southernpie wrote:Thanks guys, I thought I remembered it, I thought the reasoning was to stop a dominant team, such as Wigan was at the time, from getting on a roll, and making sure the other team got ball in hand.
That was the idea SP but what they found was that the team that had just had a try scored against them get put back on their own try line, battered by a buoyant opposition for 5 tackles before handing them the ball back on the half way line. 6 points became 12 and so on.

The best team I have ever seen at returning kick offs was the Gene Miles Wigan team of 91 / 92. John Monie always preached a stead field position 6 from kick offs until Miles came along. With Miles in the team it was Harlem Globetrotter Stuff.
He was a bit of a good un Gene Miles. Better imo than Meninga, which makes him just about the best centre I've ever seen.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He was the best I have seen too Jobo. The way he was able to actually take the tackle but still pop a pass in all manner of ways. Physically he was shot when we signed him too. Miles and Offiah was the dream centre / wing partnership for me and Miles was the only player I have ever seen make John Monie radically change his coaching philosophy.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The problem with this kick off was by scoring a try you were guaranteeing the oposition the ball back. You could never get back into a game as if you scored the others had a chance to run the clock down.

On the subject of kick offs, why did David Stephenson do a short kick off in the 85 final just after hull had scored. From this short KO they scored again and nearly won the match. To me after a try, unless your desperate for the ball you should kick long and keep the opposition in thier own half.

Random question maybe but just one of those things that sticks in my mind about that final. Good pass to Gilly for his try though, so would let him off. :)