Lesson Learned ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Lesson Learned ?

Post by cpwigan »

Increasingly it has become apparent to me that the insularity / the closed nature of RL with the constant recycling of deadwood coaching and players is something that has been harming British RL;

Madge has shown that a young hungry unhereladed coach is often the way to go. Powell is similarly proving this to be the case at Quins;

A few snippets of what I said elsewhere when he was appointed;
Give Powell an opportunity. Jeez it never ceases to amaze me how fans what to recycle the same hopeless past their sell by date coaches. Have fans / owners ever considered the game is never going to improve if we keep recycling the same deadwood. Whatsmore you have the Quins who nee to develop their own players and you call for Noble.
Opposites might attract in love but in sport not a chance.

Similarly, why sign players who should long since have retired and best days are way behind them. 8 Million Londoners, dig deep enough and there may well be a new Offiah, a new Inglis etc etc. Surely that was the argument re franchises. No threat of relegation and we have the time to develop young British players.

Like it or loathe it. London will always have a place in SL. Their place is as secure as Wigan or Leeds.

Fans, Owners/Coaches need to have some vision.
Throughout sport there are proven cases of players whose own playing career never amounted to much or was ended prematurely via injury who have gone on to be the best coaches / managers. Personally, I think that boils down to hunger and desire coupled with focussing upon coaching from a very early age. The younger you are the greater your capacity to learn.

Wayne Bennett, Brian Smith, Graham Lowe, John Monie, Madge, Craig Bellamy all exemplify this.

That trend has in recent times IMO been added to by a new one that coaching is becoming a young man's game. Harris at Wales/Crusaders and Madge at Wigan exemplify that.

London now has a young coach full of energy and commitment to London RL. Those are fantastic qualities IMO. Far too often Quuins have been left in the lurch by coaches returning to their roots. Hughes deserves far better IMO. For all his talk, McDermott was never going to stay. He was using London. Not so much wrong with that. We live in the real world etc

People keep talking about bringing names / experience in. Sorry but Ellery will not come. The rest? Who? Noble PLEASE Kear? PLEASE McDermott for all his experience as a player, some coaching left you where.

Sorry GMO but your idea youth won't work without an experienced coach is emabrassing. Farcical and ludicrous. Where on earth did you drag that from.

London fans should be patient and realistic. Good luck to Powell. Hughes deserves an employee as commited and dedicated as he is.