Best team won

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HGWarrior

Re: Best team won

Post by HGWarrior »

If we can play like that week in week out in SL & CC its all ours.

No-one has commented on Darryl's performance. He didn't seem to learn and if Joel hadn't been there to back him up the scoreline would have been very different.

I like Darryl and don't for one moment suggest he shouldn't play but he wasn't at the game on Sunday.
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

the better team did win ,i liked the way they kept the ball alive when it looked like we where going to knock then into the stands. the reason marcel marceau couldn't get them not standing square was because he couldn't see it for the player standing off side in front of him. i think our kicking game let us down big time ,as CP said we never looked to kick early when there was plenty of room in behind them.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

HGWarrior wrote:If we can play like that week in week out in SL & CC its all ours.

No-one has commented on Darryl's performance. He didn't seem to learn and if Joel hadn't been there to back him up the scoreline would have been very different.

I like Darryl and don't for one moment suggest he shouldn't play but he wasn't at the game on Sunday.
I agree that Daryll wasn't really at the races on Sunday. In his defence though, his centre was crippled and he was up against the best winger in the world. I feel that mitigates his performance somewhat.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

I agree, the better side won but there were some good points for us. I thought the pack were absolutely magnificent and quite literally fought themselves to a standstill. Galling to think that Lima could have been a big player for us had he not been so irresponsible in getting himself banned! Other people have commented on the problems with Daz and Gleese, so 'nough said. For me we didn't have enough creativity. Tommy seemed strangely subdued - where were those devastating runs? Deacs I thought was steady but didn't set the world on fire. I really do think that once Pat returns we should have Amos at full back and Sam at 6. He and George were the only line breakers on Sunday.

I was feeling really fed-up at the final whistle and as I made my way out I figured I should attend to nature prior to my long drive home. As I was standing there I was listening to the Sky broadcast on the speaker system. Despite my sorrow I had to laugh when I heard the idiot Stevo saying that he had to give credit to the referee who had officiated really well!!!!! What game was he watching then? Unbelievable. Personally I would rather have had an Aussie ref than Halibut.

Hey ho, there's always next year

bonnieboy

Post by bonnieboy »

When we were leading 15-14 at half time,i thought Deacon had two good chances at drop goals,but he kicked to the corner instead and one ball went in touch the other the aussies caught it,you never know what could have happened when we got the ball back.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I was disappointed with some of our decision making early on which lost us the game. Some of the handling errors were totally unforced and stopped us from being able to build pressure which would have tired SGI out and made it much harder for them to defend against later on. Far too often we were passing the ball out wide one man at a time which allowed their defence to slide rather than doing what we're good at switching direction to create overlaps and scoring from a cut-out pass. When we tried longer passes they were uncharacteristically sloppy, more of a reflection on us than on them being a much better team. We are capable of being far more clinical than we were, we need to learn the importance of sustained pressure, grubber kicks forcing the dropout and not automatically going for goal when you get a pen. Their defence was superb and they deserved to win because they did the basics right. Can't fault our effort but the game was winnable and I feel we threw it away, I think nerves contributed to that.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Given the injuries we had and the fact we came so close to such a class side I think its pretty clear that we aren't going to be troubled by too many teams in Super League and if we are lucky enough to get a chance to play in the WCC next year I think we will be less overawed by the occasion and have plenty of things which, by then we would have worked on. I think we are capable of beating anyone in the world and hopefully when we get some players back we will be even better. Given the fact we had only Mossop on the bench as prop I think the rest of the forwards deserve credit for keeping things as close as they were. Some really good efforts allround let down by a few moments of lack of concentration and poor positioning by a couple of players. Roll on next year we will be a better side as a result of this defeat, I'd rather follow a team striving to be the best in the world rather than thinking they're already the best in the world.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it was a good learning curve for everybody at our club.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

I agree it will do us a world of good,well done to the lads.. also what a shame we didn't have Gaz Hock....now there's a thought to make you shudder :wink: :wink: my bones are aching just trying to imagine it :look: :look:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Would Lima have made a difference and if so how?