Was taking the 2s in the WCC a mistake?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
KOOCH

Re: Was taking the 2s in the WCC a mistake?

Post by KOOCH »

We should have gone for the four possible six pointer we had St George on the back foot at the time and they seemed clueless of how to defend. When I got home and saw the replay it appeared to me that MM seemed annoyed with Deacon taking the two. Though I could be wrong. We will be better placed and more experienced next year when hopefully it will a replay of St George and ourselves. A full and fit compliment should show them that we are indeed a force to be recognised on the world stage. :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I thought to kick the first one was the correct decision at the time, as their defence had plenty of time to re-set, but the second one I was shouting at the time for a quick tap, as they looked disorganised for a few seconds, and there was a gap on the left.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

I agree again CP. We had St George on the rack and they seemed to be a little stunned. It was a perfect time to build pressure and tire St George early and taking the 2 was a poor option.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:I am torn on this as it has worked in previous WCCs but in the modern era I think you lose so much in terms of momentum, field position, burning the energy of the opposition for the 2 points.
Hindsight is a great thing. I personally think it is important to keep the board ticking oveer when you are bossing the game. I am sure that SGI would have made the same decision. Our first half performance didn't lose us the game, it was the fact that we didn't have good field position in the second half - but that's because SGI didn't allow us to have good field position.

What did please me though was our level of fitness and our willingness to squeeze out every bit of efffort.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

I thought the first one was ok because it put Wigan up by eight but the second one was silly, not only because it was a difficult kick but Saints seemed to be on the backfoot at that moment.
I think it was only to draw level as well which is a fairly negative tactic imo.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

the minute we signalled to kick i shouted nooooooooooooooo. We where all over them at that point.
doc

Post by doc »

When we were winning everything in the 80's and 90's we rarely turned down a chance of 2 points. In knockout football you should always go for the points on the board.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hence why I was torn about it Doc but has the game changed? At the highest level it now seems like you can go an awfully long time without getting the ball for 6 tackles or more on the opp try line.
jobo

Post by jobo »

As part of the game plan, the decision to take the points whenever they presented themselves, was probably the right plan to have.

Once the game starts however, circumstances prevailing need to be taken into account and at that stage of the game we were dominating and should have gone for the try.

MM is the boss, no doubt about it and I've got every faith in him but I wonder if Andy Farrell had been captain whether we would have taken the 2 or gone for 6.