Gleeson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Gleeson

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:I know what you mean but I daresay the GF win will be justification.
It certainly will for me. The pinnacle of a fantastic season and he was a major factor in what happened on that glorious day! :)
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I know what you mean but I daresay the GF win will be justification.
It certainly will for me. The pinnacle of a fantastic season and he was a major factor in what happened on that glorious day! :)
I think we would have won just as easily without Gleeson. It was a fantastic team performance from the start, and yes Gleeson did play well, but it was on a platform that was set by the team as a whole.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dobby wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
I think we would have won just as easily without Gleeson. It was a fantastic team performance from the start, and yes Gleeson did play well, but it was on a platform that was set by the team as a whole.
Maybe so. But it will be his two tries which will stay in my memory the longest!
doc

Post by doc »

So, in summary, according to ALLEGATIONS on here and other forums, the reason's for Gleeson's sacking are one or more of the following:

1) Drunk at training (again)
2) Something dodgy involving Longy and/or ANO RL personality (again)
3) Gambling (again)
4) Reporting someone who rents one of his properties to the Police for using it as a cannabis factory
5) Owing money to Salford gangsters
6) Owing money to Scouse gangsters
7) Stepping on toes of Turkish mafia smuggling Eastern European sex workers in to the country
8) Group of gangsters (origin unknown) turning up at training to give him a good kicking
9) Group of gangsters (origin unknown) threatening other players due to Gleeson's misdemeanours
10)His home being raided and police finding gun and other dodgy stuff belonging to him
11)His home being raided and police finding gun and other dodgy stuff belonging to one of his relatives

I'm sure somewhere along the line according to some people he will also be the reason the economy is knackered, why we are at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, that he killed JFK, kidnapped Shergar, helped hide Lord Lucan and that he is, in fact, Elvis in disguise.

Off past evidence Mr Gleeson hardly qualifies as a criminal mastermind and unless they were armed, the gang looking to beat him up at training, where he would be surrounded by some rather large and handy team mates, would have to be pretty dumb.

I hope for Gleeson's sake that if he is on his way out, it is one of the first three, but at the end of the day I guess none of us know the full story and that it will never get out unless something gets to court, as I'm sure no 1 reason will be given by the club if he does go. The list of alleged misdemeanours are just wild speculation and half truths from rumour mongers. Some may be true, but all the wild speculation isn't doing him or the club any good and surely it would be better for all concerned if people did not allude to what he may or may not have done and instead wait till it all comes out in the wash.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

doc wrote:So, in summary, according to ALLEGATIONS on here and other forums, the reason's for Gleeson's sacking are one or more of the following:

3) Gambling (again)
4) Reporting someone who rents one of his properties to the Police for using it as a cannabis factory
7) Stepping on toes of Turkish mafia smuggling Eastern European sex workers in to the country
8) Group of gangsters (origin unknown) turning up at training to give him a good kicking
9) Group of gangsters (origin unknown) threatening other players due to Gleeson's misdemeanours
10)His home being raided and police finding gun and other dodgy stuff belonging to him
11)His home being raided and police finding gun and other dodgy stuff belonging to one of his relatives

Pathetic innit. I mean its not like we haven't all done these things at one time or another!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Kittwazzer wrote:
doc wrote:So, in summary, according to ALLEGATIONS on here and other forums, the reason's for Gleeson's sacking are one or more of the following:

3) Gambling (again)

Pathetic innit. I mean its not like we haven't all done these things at one time or another!
Speak for yourself. I've never been drunk at training :lol:
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

3) Gambling (again)

I'm sure somewhere along the line according to some people he will also be the reason the economy is knackered, why we are at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, that he killed JFK, kidnapped Shergar, helped hide Lord Lucan and that he is, in fact, Elvis in disguise.

Off past evidence Mr Gleeson hardly qualifies as a criminal mastermind and unless they were armed, the gang looking to beat him up at training, where he would be surrounded by some rather large and handy team mates, would have to be pretty dumb.

I hope for Gleeson's sake that if he is on his way out, it is one of the first three, but at the end of the day I guess none of us know the full story and that it will never get out unless something gets to court, as I'm sure no 1 reason will be given by the club if he does go. The list of alleged misdemeanours are just wild speculation and half truths from rumour mongers. Some may be true, but all the wild speculation isn't doing him or the club any good and surely it would be better for all concerned if people did not allude to what he may or may not have done and instead wait till it all comes out in the wash.
You missed one:
Apparantly he also pimps out dogs to Joel Monaghan

I can see another autobiography on the horizon, insert possible titles here.....
Up The Mont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dobby wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
We might not have even been in the Grand Final without Gleeson. He may have issues off field but on it he is still one of the best centres in the league and a major reason why his winger was running in tries and that side of the field looked solid all season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
I think the RFL and all the clubs incl Wigan have an obligation to help players who have issues. In many respects, I think far too many clubs have turned a blind eye if a player was very talented etc and that has in the long run IMO not helped such players. There is IMO still one rule for the best players and the average / mediocre ones can go to hell which is totally wrong.
I agree. I doubt if Hock was average we'd have seen anything but instant dismissal with the club saying how it won't tolerate such behaviour.

It will be interesting to see what it does and says about Gleeson if the rumours are true.
Ultimately, I think it is the RFL either through or with the benevolent fund / players union that need to have programmes / help in place. Nobody ever wants a repeat of Terry Newton.
I agree it should be the RFL not the clubs who offer rehabilitation. That way its not left to chance that the club thinks its worth the effort as in Hock's case. Whether Wakefield just thought Newton's career was over so there was no point offering support we can only speculate but they had no obligation to do anything for him.

The RFL should formalise it and make it that when a player is sacked or banned for drugs / drink that is it as far as their former club goes. No more contact and the players should be offered support/ rehab by the RFL. If they do the program then at the end of any ban they become free agents and can resume playing if young enough.
It is important to remember that sometimes people will not accept help. I know several people have tried so hard to help Glees but if somebody will not accept help what can you do?
Well if they don't do the program they lose their right to be registered as players. If they still don't do it you have to draw the line somewhere.

botica

Post by botica »

Oh i think we would have done just as well without Gleeson. We would have had a sober centre in place all season and not just for the playoffs.
He is a class act, when he is not drinking and fit, but how many times can you give someone a chance. MM won't stand for slackness. And if we know about the drinking..... what don't we know about?

I wasn't happy with his signing either at the time, was waiting for something like this to happen if i am honest.

Good on the club not sweeping misdemeanours under the carpet like other clubs do with their stars.
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010