Was Madge really the 1st to move Sam?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TonyH

Was Madge really the 1st to move Sam?

Post by TonyH »

Interesting conversation cropped up this weekend during my Level 2 coaching course, one of the lads spoke about there not being many other coaches who would have moved Sam Tomkins to full back other than Madge.

Funnily enough I remember the interview with Sam after the Hull Kr game when he came on for Tim Smith and tore them apart I believe his exact words were "I was meant to come on at full back"

Now this was probably part of Brian Nobles 'Due Care' thinking and Noble would by no way shape or form have utilized Sam and got the success out of Sam at full back as Madge has but maybe Brian Noble had a little bit of inspiration however big or small on Sam moving to full back.
Up The Mont!
DaveO

Re: Was Madge really the 1st to move Sam?

Post by DaveO »

No idea but I hope he moves him back to 6 soon.

All this he can adopt a roving role behaind the play is all well and good but anyone watching the recent games would have seen he looks very uncomfortable under a bomb and notices he isn't big enough to be an effective last man tackler.

I reckon opposition coaches will soon work him out defensivley at full back and will exploit his lack of height and size. Bombs a plenty!

When Finch is fit I'd like him at 7, Sam at 6 and Roberts at FB. TL sharing the 9 with Micky Mac. Not that Roberts is a defensive rock either but I think that will be our best formation overall. Sam can still chime into the line at 6 pretty much as he does from 1.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

I agree Dave that the unwillingness to catch bombs is something that is more than a downside to his playing full back.

Simply put, why would some opponents attempt any open play when simply using the bomb (with the additional chasers roughing him up) would/could be so effective for them.

His broken field running is a powerful part of his game though and I wonder if stand off will give him those opportunities he enjoys from full back.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:No idea but I hope he moves him back to 6 soon.

All this he can adopt a roving role behaind the play is all well and good but anyone watching the recent games would have seen he looks very uncomfortable under a bomb and notices he isn't big enough to be an effective last man tackler.

I reckon opposition coaches will soon work him out defensivley at full back and will exploit his lack of height and size. Bombs a plenty!

When Finch is fit I'd like him at 7, Sam at 6 and Roberts at FB. TL sharing the 9 with Micky Mac. Not that Roberts is a defensive rock either but I think that will be our best formation overall. Sam can still chime into the line at 6 pretty much as he does from 1.
I think that this has become more of an issue without paddy in the team who mops up a lot of the bombs.

I think when Pat is Back Sam is a lot less a target
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
Compare him to Wellens. Sam made 243 metres with ball in hand against Salford. Wellens has made 255 metres in 3 games. Wellens has missed 5 tackles so far in Super League, Sam Tomkins just the 1.
I don't think comparing him with Wellens tells us much. If we want a top class full back we need one that matches Radlinski or for the older fans Hampson who was THE best taker of a bomb I have ever seen. I don't think Sam has got it to be as good as those two at 1 as far as defence goes.

In SL I am sure we can get away with Sam at 1 against many sides particularly as you mentioned when Richards is back but I think that is what we are going, getting away with it and it says a lot about SL standards IMO.

I think there is another reason to move him back to 6 and that is his pace. With finch in the side I think we will be expeosed by quick half backs like McQuire if he partners Deacon not Sam.

I also think keeping at 1 may spoil him as a 6. At 1 he is often expected to be the one chiming into the line taking the ball to score so he keeps hold of it. That is not a habit you want a 6 to develop. I think Sam at 1 is bit like Joel at centre. Yes he can play there and play well enough to help us beat most sides but it’s not ideal.

yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

I remember reading somewhere that Trent Barrett was the first one to pick Sam as a full back when he was at Wigan.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

DaveO wrote:No idea but I hope he moves him back to 6 soon.

All this he can adopt a roving role behaind the play is all well and good but anyone watching the recent games would have seen he looks very uncomfortable under a bomb and notices he isn't big enough to be an effective last man tackler.I reckon opposition coaches will soon work him out defensivley at full back and will exploit his lack of height and size. Bombs a plenty!

The bit i have highlighted is my msin concern, his speed returning kicks will always make him a threat I think, but is he big enough to down a second row forward that has broken the line?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Sam has the bottle to take high balls under pressure, he took that one against Leeds last season no problem just before Ablett ploughed into him I think it's his size which is the main concern but I am sold on the idea of him being our full back for years to come, it's the best attacking position on the park and Sam is our biggest attacking threat with ball in hand, it makes sense.
Up The Mont!
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

I like the idea of Sam playing fullback but i've been watching a bit of Matty Russell lately and i would love to see him get a go there sometime this season.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

The Eclipse wrote:I like the idea of Sam playing fullback but i've been watching a bit of Matty Russell lately and i would love to see him get a go there sometime this season.
Russell is a talent in attack, no doubt about it, but the problem is he's rarely tested in defence at U20s level, so doesn't get the chance to improve that area of his game. He's one of the half dozen or so I'd like to see on a dual reg contract at somewhere like Widnes, or a lower level SL club.