Betts pressure

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
we_need_a_coach

Re: Betts pressure

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:(
Just face it, once the press start talking about 'the next two games' & 'the pressure is on', it's all over, next we will have the dreaded chairmans vote of confidence. Why drag it out, lets get it sorted now !!!!

:( :(
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

waterside glens posted:
excellant post robjoenz :eusa2:
Is this all you ever say?
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doveoverdave posted:
waterside glens posted:
No. He also says get behind the lads, stay 'till the end, stop complaining, well said MrsLam, spot on MrsCarney, Betts is a genius and thanks Andy for dropping us in the brown sticky stuff :D
Welski

Post by Welski »

Doveoverdave posted:
waterside glens posted:
Thats :devi: talk but :eusa2: I never :slee: of the :tong: on this board.

Keep it up!

I have to add the recent comments from DB do seem to indicate that there is more to the pressure than pure media hype: "You hope they [the board] are going to back you up and do the right thing by you" "The best thing to do is atttack"

All this coupled with the IM statement that he wants to stay in Britain and continue coaching in SL....hmmm
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

In all this talk of we need a coach everybody seems to have forgotten our pet gripe at the beginning of each season when we complain about the pre season conditioning which helps(?) us to pick up so many injuries so quickly.
Its not the coach we need to change but Ashley Jones, the last stains cast off we acquired, before that it was Hughes, have you seen the pattern developing here yet, Millward would be the icing on the case in this demolition of our club.
PS The last good signing we made from Stains was Connolly, before that you need to go back to GeoffN's formative years with Frank Carlton
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
DaveO posted:
Substituting Colbon for one error yet leaving Melling to suffer v Widnes are two.
Subbing Colbon may have been a mistake, maybe starting him there against Vainakolo was the mistake. As for Melling, he hardly suffered, with the exception of being weak under the bomb he had a decent game.
What do you mean Melling hardly suffered? He looked terrified every time a lick went up and Carney had to help him out. Whether he suffered or not Betts left him at full back when it was blindingly obvious what Widnes were going to do every time they got into out half. It was like watching Nathan Graham in that Bulls v Saints final at Wembly a few years back.

He should have swapped him with Vaeliki but he just left him there and it cam close to costing us the game.

If that isn't a mistake I don't know what is.
His interchange policy is rubbish.

Sculthopre for 5 mins in one game. Subs not used until 5 mins from the end. Guisett rotated when he is a 60 min player at least. It is awful.
Maybe there are reasons for this? I should think a man that has played at the highest level all his career would have some idea as to what interchanges to make.
The point is he clearly doesn't which is why whwn you posted "go on" I pointed this out. As a player I don't suppose he gave much thought to the intercahnges sinnce he was on the field most of the time and it was somone elses job to do that.
To me Scully playing for just 5 minutes suggests he was injured.
So why waste a bench spot on an injured player?
Maybe his thinking behind late interchanges is to try and replace tired legs with more fresh legs in an attempt to make us the 80 minute team we need to be. Maybe he takes Guisett off because he is a second rower and knackering him out isn't good for his body. I am just guessing because as a fan I do not know the goings on in the changing rooms or how the fit each player really is, neither do any of us. So none of us can say his interchange policy is rubbish because we do not actually know why he does what he does.
So you agree the interchange poiicy doesn't look good?

Your argument for not critiscising the interchange iseems to be we see a propblem with the way things are but we can't critiscise the coach because we don't know what he is thinking? You could apply that argument to everything he does!

For example I say he sould have moved Melling from FB v WIdnes. You could say, we don't know what was thinking or the reaosns why he left him there so we can't critisise his actions. Its patent nonsense to adopt that attitude.

If it isn't working then we are entitield to critisicse it. Mitiagating circumstances don't apply 100% of the time.
His selection policy is not great despite the limited resources he keeps playing people out of position and it seems based on seniority as opposed to anything else.
Denis cannot win on this point. He plays a team with every player in their favoured position and it's got several academy players, he is accused of threatening their development by throwing them into the deep end far too soon and unprepared.
That is not correct. He has been critisised for persisting with Aspwinall on the wing and playing Wilde at centre for example. That has meant playing academy playes in the pack when the obvoious thing to do would have been to put Wilde in the pack and bring in the academy player on the wing. He ha splayed numerous players in the 13 slot and looks like he is set to play Tickle there tonight which I and others don't agree is a good idea. This is a legitimate complaint IMO.
On the other hand he tries to only use a few academy players and consequently has to put players out of position in order to have the best possible balance between youth and experience.
He has basically picked any experience dplayer available and tried to build his team around them. That has resulted more often than not of players playing out of position (Aspinwall again for example. His selection policy has seemed that simplistic to me.
In addition the majority of academy players only train part-time and also attend college, correct me if I'm wrong but is it not exam time at the moment? You have to take the players priorities into consideration!
We are talking about his record and exam having been going on all year. Not all the squad outside the top 20 in the 20/20 are part time.
His choice of captain hasn't worked in either case.
I'm not really sure what has happened on this front. Radlinski's game seemed to suffer last season when was made captain, then this season Newton has been given captaincy but doesn't really seem to take charge of the team. We definately lack a leader when out on the field.
We do and so Betts should sort it out!
The tactics the team adopts are one dimensional.
At times, yes the attack has been very one dimensional, however, did you not see the massive improvement we made at Warrington? Our attacking play was so much better than it has been in quite a while.
I did and that is good news but it has to be consistently good not a flash in the pan. Tonight is a very important game for Betts IMO.
Last but not least he has been seen after games we have lost having a laugh with former players as if its all A OK !!
Don't be so bloody soft!
[/quote]

Well it doesn't create a greast impression. I have seen players leave the ground looking gutted and if Betts is having a laugh five minutes after another loss I wonder about his attitude.

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO posted:
He has played numerous players in the 13 slot and looks like he is set to play Tickle there tonight which I and others don't agree is a good idea
Dave
I disagree, the lad has head up vision more than the majority of our players and he came into the game at Fax playing just that position
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
DaveO posted:
He has played numerous players in the 13 slot and looks like he is set to play Tickle there tonight which I and others don't agree is a good idea
Dave
I disagree, the lad has head up vision more than the majority of our players and he came into the game at Fax playing just that position
If you move Tickle out of the second row it weakens the second row. Unless Jerome plays there it means we have a second row of Hansen and Wilde and that isn't as good as Hansen and Tickle IMO. Tickle also hasn't looked as effective on the pitch at 13 as he is playing 12 IMO.

Dave
Welski

Post by Welski »

DaveO posted:
[quote
What do you mean Melling hardly suffered? He looked terrified every time a lick went up and Carney had to help him out. Dave
I would have been terrified too...have you seen the size of Lesley's tongue??? :o
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Welski posted:

I would have been terrified too...have you seen the size of Lesley's tongue???
:o
Welski,
I nearly posted a rude reply to that but the thought of expaining it to the delectable MrsL just stopped me in time. :lol: