Ainscough v Charnley - differences?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Ainscough v Charnley - differences?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Two young wingers with similar success on the field. One had a chance at Wigan, scored a lot of tries but then went off the radar and is now scoring again for Bradford like it's natural for him. The other has broken into the first team through injuries (much like Ainscough) and again is in fine scoring form. Both had successful loan spells to Widnes or Hull KR and came back to the Wigan first team in form.

So what are the differences between Shaun Ainscough and Josh Charnley? Forgetting Josh's kicking capabilities, attacking wise there's not much to put between them. I think the main reason, easily highlighted is the players attitude on and off the pitch. Noted that Ainscough is a hard one to control I haven't heard a peep from the Charnley camp. If Shaun got himself sorted he'd still be in a Wigan shirt.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
wiggydoran

Re: Ainscough v Charnley - differences?

Post by wiggydoran »

Defence - Ainscough was easliy targeted by other teams both with ball in hand and in the air.

I did not fell confrident with Ainscough on the field. He could score tries for fun but there is no point having him in you team if he score 2 and conceeds 3.

Attacking wise Ainscough is more explosive but all round i would pick charnley every day of the week.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The main difference is Charnley has gone from coaching under Wane to coaching under Wane and Madge whereas Ainscough had to put up with Noble.

I do not think you can underestimate the negative impact of Ainscough having to put up with Noble's damning by faint praise style of coaching.

If your coach mentions in public you are not the finished article and drops you after scoring a shed load of tries its not rocket science to work out that is going to affect a young players confidence and attitude.

Charnely is in a different set up where he knows he won't be dropped just because Richards gets fit and if he does spend time out of the first team it won't be because the coach always picks experienced players over younger players regardless of form. He has no worries his coaches are going to treat him badly and that will free him up to simply concentrate on playing, not be wondering what he has to do to get a game.

Goulding is another who suffered under Noble and has benefited since he left in a similar way.

I think we are lucky Ainscough is the only tangible damage Noble did to the players Wane produced.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wow! I cant believe this is even in question.
Ainscough is good in attack yes but not the best, in defence he is awful his positional play is awful and he is awful under the high ball, now I know all these things can be improved but sometimes you need to know which youngsters are worth keeping and which are worth letting go (which by the way I think Wigan are starting to get good at).
Charnley is potent in attack his defence is solid and under the high ball he looks pretty solid but a massive difference is his versatility, he is just as good in the centres as he is on the wing and I think we can all agree on 2 things, Ainscough would not be able to play in the centres and he could not throw a pass as good as Charnleys on friday night to put Hoff over the line.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Charnley looks that bit more commited also to me. He chases back if he misses a tackle and does not over commit to a 2 on 1 challenge in defence. There was a fine example of this last week when Hoffman also made the tackle and pushed hudds player into touch. Feel far more confident with Josh under the high ball than did Shaun Ainscough also. We had a similar discussion at the pre season game at barrow, as both Ainscough and Josh have played there in last few years. The major difference was Ainscough seemed to strut about like he was above playing barrow and Charnley played it like anyother game. Yes Ainscough is a good try scorer, but after the try Charnley got last week from lockers kick so is he, and the best thing he has still time to improve like the majority of our current squad
jobo

Post by jobo »

Charnley is not a winger. He's a centre who's filling in at wing. If he stays on the wing for the rest of his career it will be a waste.

He's still a good bit better on the wing though than Ainscough was.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One has a brain the other does not
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Would it be consistant to drop Charnley now? The only difference being we dont have Noble to do it. At least ainscough scored 2 more for Bradford last night against Skins.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

ancientnloyal wrote:Would it be consistant to drop Charnley now? The only difference being we dont have Noble to do it. At least ainscough scored 2 more for Bradford last night against Skins.
And replace him with.....?
Who do we have that could replace Charnley on the wing at the moment?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
mikey

Post by mikey »

Well said,Josh Charnley has stood big for us the last two games and has a massive future for us,Ainscough is history.