Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Tonights game

Post by Matthew »

Joel got sent off for leading with the forearm against hull; yet westwood led with the arm numerous times, had several high tackles and threw punches - yet didn't even get binned.

I have my doubts whether he will even get sighted by the joke of a disciplinary
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Matthew wrote:Joel got sent off for leading with the forearm against hull; yet westwood led with the arm numerous times, had several high tackles and threw punches - yet didn't even get binned.

I have my doubts whether he will even get sighted by the joke of a disciplinary
There were a lot of high kick out's at the ruck as well similar to the one Sam got done for a while back,with no action taken , which again proves our French friend had no control .

I think Joel got sent off more for being stupid as leading with the arm. Ganson knew what was going to happen and waited for it to happen and silly boy Joel duely obliged .
2002 and EW is hooked
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I was convinced in the crowd that t'Wire knocked on before the Hoffman 'try' and despite the video judges answer I am still sure that that was what happened but looking at the sky replays I have to say that Hoffman knocked on trying to pick up the ball,it was scrum down but it should have been put in to Wigan, but then again on last nights overall performance we would have knocked on again in the next 6 passes or given t'Wire the ball again.
No excuses, we were just inept last night.We need to sort out the Gleeson saga and get a top class centre to replace him.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian.birchall wrote:I was convinced in the crowd that t'Wire knocked on before the Hoffman 'try' and despite the video judges answer I am still sure that that was what happened but looking at the sky replays I have to say that Hoffman knocked on trying to pick up the ball,it was scrum down but it should have been put in to Wigan, but then again on last nights overall performance we would have knocked on again in the next 6 passes or given t'Wire the ball again.
No excuses, we were just inept last night.We need to sort out the Gleeson saga and get a top class centre to replace him.
Correct.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

cherry.pie wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote:
DaveO wrote:I am very disappointed with the game because we were simply outclassed all game.

We have lost games under Madge before but that is the worst loss of his reign for me because its the first time we were simply not able to compete with the opposition.

I don't think Wire got out of 3rd gear in the second half.

A number of things went wrong (not an attempt an an exhaustive list by any mean but just those that stuck out for me):

In general we had too many inexperienced players out there in both the backs and forwards. I think we missed Faz and Joel and without Fielden our front row which pre season looked very promising is back to us needing that extra experienced prop. We have one but he's out for four months!

Sam at 1 is surely an experiment that has run its course? For me its turning him into the exact opposite of a team player. When he gets the ball both he and the team seem to think either he makes something amazing of it or that is the end of that. Against St. George and Wire it is exposed as just not working.
Amos being left on the bench and only used so Finch could come off. This wasn't a tactical substitution. I expected to see him come on with Tommy moving to 9 and Sam to 6. I was really looking forward to that and had hoped it would give us a change of tactics to trouble Wire but by the time we did end up like that the game was long gone. Madge had no plan B.

Any positives? Well I don't think Lima is as bad as some are making out. I thought he ran the ball in hard and made yards when he did.

Although not on long I though Amos looked sharp and for me he must start next week. Preferably at full back.

Apart form that I can't think of anything.

I agree we missed Faz last night, but in that game Joel would have been a liability. I doubt he'd have seen the scond half and would be on his way to Red Hall on Tuesday for a lengthy ban.
I'm sorry, but Joel is not mentally ill!! You seem to think he's some sort of mad man incapable of playing a game of rugby without going crazy and taking players out!
He had plenty of good games for us last season and is perfectly capable of playing a game without getting sent off. In fact he's had 2 sin bins and one red card in his whole Super League career which is 105 games in total. To say that he'd have been a liability because he'd have probably been sent off is ridiculous.
The amount of sledging, and little niggles that were going on, I think Joel would have reacted.
No one, to my knowledge has suggested he is mentslly ill, but he is easily wound up. And he will be under scrutiny for the next few games he plays. He will have to be whiter than white to avoid coming to the attention of the officials and the disciplinary.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Josh is better as a centre than on the wing. I dont think Stefan is the answer in the centres.
warrior49 wrote:IMO it was like this...too many knock ons after the 2nd and before the 4th tackle.

Wire was faster than us going forward and they looked far more fluid with the ball.
Alex the Warrior wrote:No beating about the bush - Warrington were better than us last night and looked it from the start.

We lacked penetration and were sloppy. Too many poorly executed and anxious passes resulting in dropped balls which were so unneccessary when only 6 points behind.

Finally, why do we keep losing at home and winning away? 7 out of 12 now and it's not all down to refereeing.
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Wire looked to big to strong all night and made metres for fun.

Void of ideas, no creativity, we seem to want to defend almost too much at times.

Madge has to kop this one squarely on the chin as the finch experiment didn't work and in such a big game is was obvious he would struggle.
I have raised these points particularly. All (including DaveO's) imo correct.

I have to admit that the official line from Wigan (that Wigan didn't take their many numerous chances) doesn't "wash" with me. Wigan's completion rate was disgraceful. Apparently 50% in the 2nd half (didn't realise it was that high), but it was surely lower in the 1st half. All I can say it was a good job it wasn't raining.

The side constantly placed itself under pressure throughout the game. Ignoring the lack of creativity when we did hold onto the ball. Ignoring some blatant rank bad refereeing. Ignoring (for me) what appears to be an unbalanced team. Maguire has to take this team and it's mentality/preparations back to last season or this season will become a massive anticlimax
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:
Morph wrote:
EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:How can ALBERT enforce the offside line when he is always standing over the ruck shouting "MOVE".

Everytime the attck were within 10 metres of the line every defender was ofside because he could not view the defense line position .

ALBERT is not biased twisted or has an agenda he is quite simply CRAP. He has proved this at both his games at the DW this season.

Regards , EW
I honestly thought this as well EW. Everytime Alibert is named as ref, the general consensus is that he's crap, but as least he is crap for both teams, but after witnessing that display last night, i don't hold that view anymore. that was a completely biased reffing display in wire's favour. Saying that we prob still would have lost but the scoreline woud ahve been much closer.
I thought the opposie Morph. He slowed the game down at times with iept decisions, and slowing the game down helped us because Wire at times were flying.Love them or loath them Wire were very Good .
Don't agree, Warrington were getting yards by getting a quick play the ball and taking out one of our markers loads of times by sticking their heads in like Eorl Crabtree did a few times when we played Hudds. In addition to this, when they tackled us they weren't rolling away and were constantly holding us down. Each of these things are offences which made them consistently quicker than us at the PTB and this went on unpenalised all game. I think we've been hammered unfairly for not standing square or for holding down so much this season we've gone soft in the ruck and other teams are able to get away with punishing us for it. People like Joel and Faz manage to slow the PTB down and do loads of tackles but because they get penalised for it a few times even our fans start having a go at them because of it but we need to start fighting fire with fire. Alibert may not have changed the result last night, although I think its debatable, but previous refereeing decisions have certainly affected how we're playing the game. Its all good saying how amazing our defence is after games like last weeks but the yards being made against us early in the tackle count are a major concern imo and the speed of the ruck is the cause. The effect, of course is that pretty much every time we're defending on the last it's either kicks from only 30 or so metres out or defending good running rugby from within 10 metres.

I know I've said a lot of this before but having just seen the game again its clear what the issues are. Momentum and possesion is absolutely vital and we had so many chances to get this taken away from us while they had it handed to them on a plate by an inept referee to the point that despite the margin of victory it's impossible to say for sure that we wouldn't have won the game with a different ref. There are plenty of things we can do to improve our chances in such circumstances but frankly we shouldn't have to.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cherry.pie wrote: our current side is lacking so much aggression in the forwards that we could do with an absolute nutter!
Steve Breheny anyone! Or Fat Harry? :lol:
doc

Post by doc »

Alibert was abysmal!

Finch was obviously not match fit and was out on his feet at the end. It didnt look like he was up to speed with our attacking plays as he took the wrong decision too many times. He was also playing down the same channel as Lockers at times, getting in his way a couple of times. We didn't see much of Lockers at all in attack and lacked his cut out passing because of this.

Also worrying was how few times we managed to break the defensive line and really missed the likes of Gleeson and JT running wide.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

One loss and everyones banging on like it's the end of the world. In sport you have off days and you have days where other teams are just simply better than you on the day. I can liken this to one of our games last season, we had an off day and got beat by Bedford who we should have been beating easily they beat us cause we had an off day but then we put 60 points on them when they came to us.

Friday was no different. We had an off day and Wire were impressive. The difference with Wire and us is I don't think they have many of those performances left in them this season where as we will be calmer, take this in our stride and move on.

I have to admit I would have preferred Lockers at 6 but I'm not gonna bitch about Finch after his first game in 7 months.

I think on some part although I think Micky Mac is outstanding we are missing Riddell. He seemed to have all the time in the world on the ball.
Up The Mont!